SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is my first 9-5 thread. I'm currently working on two other threads on this site.
One for my GTX30 Viggen.
https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/viggen-build.620497/

And another for my Turbo X restoration.
https://www.saabcentral.com/threads/turbo-x-resto.729819/

I have a friend who recently had a motor built for a big turbo project, and it has a low oil pressure issue. From what I'm told, it has maybe 30 miles and a little over an hour of runtime so far. I figured I'd document my findings, and my procedure for diagnosing and finally solution for repair here. The car was trailered almost 600 miles today, and arrived late in the afternoon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Made some progress this weekend.

Put the subframe back in so I could get the car in the corner. Good photo op :)

Tore the engine down and we clearly have some damage. Possible crank out of round. Could be machine shop error. You can see the mains wiped, and the pistons were able to make contact with the cylinder walls.

I'm going to bring everything to the machine shop this week to have it looked at, for confirmation on the cause of the damage.
At this point i would argue the best thing to do is use another engine and start fresh with the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Damn the pistons hit the walls too...ouch.

Bleh.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very unfortunate considering the circumstances, but I'll get this car straight for the customer. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
if it was me I would bore to 93mm and go with the 2.5 build. lowers the compression which means more boost and there is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2.5's are known for head gasket problems. I used to have a built 2.5. Cool? Yes, but not much point because you can make a 2.3 make 500whp with 30psi on the stock head with stock bore. :) But now that there are some better head gasket options available I plan on putting it back together. Would be fun, but hard to keep traction even with a diff and sticky tires as it is.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ya you can buy solid copper head gasket kit which solves the problem. Also, you get way better low end drivability if you are going big turbo. We have started a awd kit and hope to have it for sale some time next year. Can’t talk to much about it thou.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have found the issue with the original motor. The oil line from the #3 main to the balance shaft bearing in the rear wasn't plugged properly. Can shine a light right through.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Oh boy...Frank can't be happy with the previous builder.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know who and he's built so many of these engines. Maybe the block off vibrated out of position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts