SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone herd of swapping the headers and adding a aftermarket turbo to the 3.0 V6? I would like to do it to mine if this has been done!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nordic has done it, but havent heard of anyone on here doing it. You would have to build a custom manifold for a new turbo. Since the manifold is built in to the turbo on our cars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
something crazy

I was thinking about this the other day, and ive read about the whole twin turbo Idea. but what about making a set of custom manifolds and using a single turbo? not trying to thread jack, but it almost seems easier than jus making a single mainifold to swap.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day, and ive read about the whole twin turbo Idea. but what about making a set of custom manifolds and using a single turbo? not trying to thread jack, but it almost seems easier than jus making a single mainifold to swap.
so which setup do you think is easier?

·
Registered
448 Posts
rethinking

well, in honesty, now that I think about it, It would be easier to buy a flange of fleabay, for whatever turbo you want (in reason), torch the stock one off of the manifold weld the new flange, bolt it up (prob need a custom dp) and be done. but im really thinking, relocate the battery to the trunk, use that slot for the new turbo. run 2 three inch pipes together for the exhaust in, a single 2.5" for compressor out to IC and a 3.5-4" for the intake ;ol;

it would be a lot of pipe work but IDK

·
Registered
425 Posts
ahh, i see your point. I believe that the stock manifold is cast iorn so it is pretty hard to weld a new flange on with out leaving any holes

·
Registered
708 Posts
ahh, i see your point. I believe that the stock manifold is cast iorn so it is pretty hard to weld a new flange on with out leaving any holes

I work for a foundry and TIG and MIG weld on cast steel every day. Been doing it for 7 years. My welds survive heat treating, pressure testing, surface treatments, chroming, you name it. Just gotta take the time and learn how to do it properly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I work for a foundry and TIG and MIG weld on cast steel every day. Been doing it for 7 years. My welds survive heat treating, pressure testing, surface treatments, chroming, you name it. Just gotta take the time and learn how to do it properly.
Thats true but it takes some exspensive tools to get a a good weld. Most people could only afford a stick with a cast iron rod. To sobstory the rear manifold is slightly diffrent than the turbo manifold, I believe it might fit but I havent checkedyet.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Just got an 03 arc myself. My quick idea was just to put on a compressor wheel and housing from the gt17. I've got it all assembled on the bench, but figured on waiting for the weather to break before installing on the car(no sense in spinning my wheels faster). Not sure exactly what the gain will be, and I plan on mounting an EGT sensor to make sure it doesn't melt down. Curious if anybody else has tried this, doesn't seem many folks are interested in v6 tuning

·
Registered
425 Posts
N.e - I dont believe anyone one has done this, you wont see a gain until you tune it. Lucky for you, you live on the east coast so there are a good amount of tuners out there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
ok heres what Im thinking. Im making a custom speakerbox so ill integrate the battery into the trunk then. without the battery that leaves a 16x14x10 inch hole (i was being generous) the turbo would need a braket for support, I think. Then I would have to fab a manifold for the front (like the rear that already has a flange) and run 2.5" pipe to the turbo (probably bring the pipe together before running to the turbo). then run a 3" DP and run a 3-4" intake across the front down to where the intake naturally is. the pipes could run down, and over the top ofthe transmission, or over, with the battery removed the front could just turn right (facing the motor) and then go back to the turbo.

·
Registered
448 Posts
honestly I have no idea. My honest to god goal is to make a 1 off car. It honestly doesn't have to be blisteringly fast. just one of a kind. but as for hypotheses sake, I see the ability of stronger pistons and a more open location for the turbo opening doors to more power. If I set the bar reeeeally high, 400 whp. but honestly Im after 300-350 whp and massive torque.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The transmission in the v6's can only handle 300hp from what I've heard, but normally its the torque that kills the trans. Im curious about how about how all the plastic parts in the area of the battery will handle that much heat.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ive been wonderinag about the same thing. Ill probably relocate everything :roll:. honestly reight now this is a fantasy. but maybe one day!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts