SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 SAAB 9-5 with an automatic. Was getting a vibration at lights. My excellent SAAB-only mechanic instantly diagnosed it as a transmission mount. Want to pickup the part. Found a new Pro Parts Sweden transmission mount for $42 online. How is the Pro Parts brand compared to OEM Genuine SAAB? I also saw Pro Parts Sweden 23" windshield wipers for the 08 SAAB 9-5. Any idea how they compare with Valeo?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have a decent vibration at lights. My bottom mount looked somewhat newish though. Might have to inspect again. This is my first Saab so I don’t know what to expect. But coming from a Honda 4cyl it feels like I’m sitting on a chainsaw engine at a stoplight.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Good luck trying to solve the vibration issue. Much has been written here about changing mounts, reducing/increasing idle speed, changing transmission fluid, "balancing" the engine before tightening the mounts (whatever that is), replacing subframe bushings, etc.... Apparently, no real solution other than putting the transmission in Neutral when at a stoplight.

Hope you can solve it. Please update when your new mount is installed.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
I have a 2008 SAAB 9-5 with an automatic. Was getting a vibration at lights. My excellent SAAB-only mechanic instantly diagnosed it as a transmission mount. Want to pickup the part. Found a new Pro Parts Sweden transmission mount for $42 online. How is the Pro Parts brand compared to OEM Genuine SAAB? I also saw Pro Parts Sweden 23" windshield wipers for the 08 SAAB 9-5. Any idea how they compare with Valeo?
You'll probably have to replace that mount again in 6 months. The wipers? Probably 3 months. Pro Parts Sweden just aren't the same quality of material (which is why the price is so attractive) so you'll be replacing those parts at an estimated rate of between 5 and 10-1 compared to OEM or Aftermarket OEM quality replacements (NGK for DIC, Hutchinson for engine/transmission mounts, Lemforder for OEM style subframe bushings or Powerflex for Poly bushings etc).

Reactions: hoppysport

·
Registered
90 Posts
It depends on the parts, polyurethane is polyurethane in my book so I went with proparts subframe bushings but Hutchinson engine/trans mounts. Note that I had a serious vibe problem while stopped in D and R, changed all the mounts and very little improvement, rear subframe bushings nothing, then middle bushings and it has reduced significantly. Now I want to do the fronts but not sure if I can do those without dropping the subframe which doesn't look fun. You could replace all the mounts you want but I'd suggest taking a pry bar to your subframe bushings first and doing those if they are bad. Just my experience, maybe one of your mounts is jacked up and that's your problem if the dude was real confident about it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have a decent vibration at lights. My bottom mount looked somewhat newish though. Might have to inspect again. This is my first Saab so I don’t know what to expect. But coming from a Honda 4cyl it feels like I’m sitting on a chainsaw engine at a stoplight.
These 9-5 235R engines
You'll probably have to replace that mount again in 6 months. The wipers? Probably 3 months. Pro Parts Sweden just aren't the same quality of material (which is why the price is so attractive) so you'll be replacing those parts at an estimated rate of between 5 and 10-1 compared to OEM or Aftermarket OEM quality replacements (NGK for DIC, Hutchinson for engine/transmission mounts, Lemforder for OEM style subframe bushings or Powerflex for Poly bushings etc).
Thanks Nocturne! Will buy the SAAB OEM or Hutchinson. When I changed my entire set of subframe bushings, it transformed the 9-5. It felt like I was driving a completely different car. I went with OEM over Polyurathane because I heard that the Poly squeaked.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends on the parts, polyurethane is polyurethane in my book so I went with proparts subframe bushings but Hutchinson engine/trans mounts. Note that I had a serious vibe problem while stopped in D and R, changed all the mounts and very little improvement, rear subframe bushings nothing, then middle bushings and it has reduced significantly. Now I want to do the fronts but not sure if I can do those without dropping the subframe which doesn't look fun. You could replace all the mounts you want but I'd suggest taking a pry bar to your subframe bushings first and doing those if they are bad. Just my experience, maybe one of your mounts is jacked up and that's your problem if the dude was real confident about it.
All subframe bushings were changed 18,000 miles ago. Transformed the car. My mechanic knows what he is doing. All OEM subframe bushings, parts and labor for $1,050. At the same time I also replaced the rear shocks and front struts...Sachs on the front and Bilstein B6 on the rear. It handles beautifully, but you do feel the bumps on awful NYC streets. On the highway it's butter.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Never tried any ProParts, but a friend had one of their fuel pumps which caused heat deformation of the plastic wiring harness at the top of the canister in his 9000. Many have voiced their opinions on PP on here!

If you want cheap wipers - I've had consistent satisfaction with the Michelins Costco sell.

Doug

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Stay away from any ProParts product that contains rubber. That seems to be their weak point. I've been happy with the poly rear axle bushings of theirs that are on my '97 900 and the interior grab handle on the hatch of my 2000 9-5 wagon, but that's about it. Their other parts aren't very good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My replacement OEM transmission mount only lasted a couple of years, changed to the one from Genuine Saab about 6 months ago, seems to be holding up much better.

Also, I used to have vibration before I changed ALL the engine mounts. Buttery smooth idle since.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Once bought a coolant bypass valve because the old one leaked, from this pro parts brand. When the car was stopped and shut off after some city drive, the valve melted and spilled all the coolant over the engine bay, I got stranded right in the place

Proparts never ever to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts