SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I'm kinda debating where I wanna go with the project as it'd be so much easier to just get her back to stock and use the compound turbo idea on a more tuner car (Starion maybe?). Plus then I can sell my POS daily and use the Saab!
As an owner of several Starions, they are a car that can be tuned, but very little aftermarket support, they require a lot of maintenance, and have probably been hacked up by a previous owner. They only use 2 injectors and for a compound turbo setup would probably need an MPI conversion, which is expensive(need to go standalone, and good luck on finding a manifold).That said, I still love them and am working on swapping everything from my built 88 widebody to an 86 flat body. The guys on starquestclub.com are pretty helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I did look into what it'd take to get trionic to handle compounds and its not much more than a single turbo high HP build. The MAF isnt reliable after 300 some HP so you have to switch to a MAFless tune (MAP sensor). The MAP sensor has to be upgraded to a 4bar version to read the higher boost pressures. Ill also have to replace the factory boost control solenoid because I doubt it will like 50psi (who knows if ill actually get that high)


Luckily, some guy in russia already figured this stuff out on trionic tunning for his twin sequential setup! https://www.trionictuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6491


Anyways, I have the motor put together now! going back to stock for break in, then build the compound system.






PS 80s and 90s cars are the best and a Starion is on my list. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Still making progress..veeery slowly :( I changed to white primer and the orange is looking way better. Not gonna bother to fix the engine bay though as i wont see it 99% of the time (hopefully).





Now onto the doors, hood trunk, etc. these should go way quicker as i've learned a bit along the way.

Plan for the project is to install the stock turbo for break in and then install a 19T-td04hla (hla = twin scroll) from a subaru. I'll probably bite the bullet and just upgrade to an LSD now. I want to finish this as a daily and move on to other stuff... like compounds in a small AWD truck.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Wow He's Back! I wondered where this project went to....


Glad your back, can't wait to see how this turns out.
Thanks!

Was gone last week and part of this week for work, so nothing is getting done :cry:


Ive started to put the engine bay back together. Still need to paint some brackets and respray clear on the radiator support.



I'm also working on building some jigs for the engine mounts so i can build urethane versions. Bought some 75 Durometer 2 part rubber. hope i got enough.


I have a hunch that the urethane front trans mounts wear quickly because they are stiffer than the stock mounts and take most of the load. All poly should work better.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It's about time for another update....

The tank has been reinstalled along with the brake and fuel lines running to the rear. This was a little more complicated because I was planning on dual walbro 450s for the compound setup. Anyways, its just a single walbro 450 and I had to keep the -8AN lines. There's 10AWG wire from the battery straight to the pump (with a fuse and relay of course).



Maptun tank straps broke as i started tightening them.... scary stuff.




Now for the motor mounts. Here's what the setup for the left engine mount looked like. Basically just a washer mounted to the bottom half, and a bolt with two washers floating in the top.


Assembled, ready for filling



The right engine mount after filling. I built a retaining ring to fully submerge the floating bit in rubber. This one had a jig made as well.



Gutted the rear mount and built a polyurethane mount as well.


Cast some rubber inserts for this mount and machined them down to final fit


I used an aluminum spool gun for the first time on this...it got a little away from me, but itll work well enough.



aaaaaand here they are:
 

Attachments

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
Top