SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 9-5 has two rear head rests that are able to fold down onto the back shelf to improve visibility when there are no passengers back there that wanted a head rest. The problem is that the spring inside one of them has come loose from the bar inside the headrest. The head rest works by pressing a button on the outside to be able to release the head rest from the upright position. Inside the head rest there are two slotted disks that have pre-determined slots based on where the headrest should be able to lock into the upright position. This sliding bar that is attached to the button slides out of the way when pressed to allow the headrest to move, and then springs back into position when you release it, and if there is a slot lined up, holds the head rest up, if not, it allows it to lay flat. In this bar there is a hole in which the spring arm drops into.
The problem I have recently been having is that if the head rest is used without holding the button when putting it upright, the bar/button springs back too quickly and knocks the spring arm out of it's hole and then becomes unusable. Over the weekend I took the head rest off my car and easily pulled the leather back. There is a hard foam blocking the access, so I cut into that with a mat knife at an angle in such a way that it would sit back in that specific position easily when I put it back together. With that spring exposed, I can see the problem, but I don't know how this problem developed or how to fix it. If the button is released slowly, the arm does not go back as far and does not knock the arm loose, but I don't think that is something I can control once it's back in the car. I've attached a few photos of the inside of the head rest. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be more than a temporary fix for this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Nice first post, welcome to Saabcentral. This is an endemic problem at least for '04 and '05. My fix was to put the spring back in place and not let anyone but me operate the headrests. A more reliable fix would be nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've pretty much decided to put a small screw or something similar into the plastic to keep the spring from returning farther than is it is meant to (which is causing it to pop out). i don't know what previously stopped it where it needed to be stopped since i am not willing to unstitch the leather to get full access, so hopefully this will work for me without over-stressing the plastic. if anyone knows what normally stops the spring in the proper position, i'd be interested to know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a million for this post! I dared to borrow the photos and translate the text in order to share this useful information on Saab forum CZ/SK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first question would be when you shake the head rest does anything rattle around in there? It seems to me that something is missing such as a retaining clip or something like that. It seems that a washer which would slide around that hooked part of the spring would keep it from pulling out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes I hear a lot of rattling in there when I shake my head.
HAHA just as I thought that is what everyone says about me and my Saab obsessions. So have you thought about just replacing the whole headrest with another one from a different year which doesn't have a problem? I see them all the time in my junkyards here in Denver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts