SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is better to change oil by draining than by sucking - removes everything from the oil pan. Sucking may leave something at the bottom. It seems that garages may use sucking.
Due to the stories about oil sludge causing engine failures, I used Formula 1 flushing fluid before draining the oil.
The new oil is Quaker State 5W/30 Advanced Synthetic Oil, the new filter is FRAM XG3614 for synthetic oil, with Suregrip, so no tool required.
The oil plug was replaced. The new one is a universal plug with 14mm thread, 1.50 mm rise, 17 mm hexagonal head, $3. Original has 13 mm hexagonal head, which is a poor choice.
I used nylon gasket, which is better than copper.

My SAAB 9-5 Linear Wagon has some 85000 kms/ ~55000 miles on it.
I do oil changes myself, as then I can check also other issues like rust.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Many "car experts" on here have advised against the use of a Frame oil filter.

With these cars having excessive trouble with engine oil sludge I would be QUITE worried. Genuine Saab filters or Mann filters are well suggested.

Just my 2 cents.

You are taking good care of your car by the sounds of it at least. Good stuff.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thanks for a very informative first post - welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Gravity drain of oil is definately the method to use. Saab released a newer version of oil filter about 18 months ago, this was supposedly part of the cure for sludge problems. New filters are black as opposed to the previous light blue coloured ones, they are cheap enough even from dealers to warrant using them.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
woywitka said:
Many "car experts" on here have advised against the use of a Frame oil filter.
There's technically nothing wrong with a Fram filter, they're just rip offs is all. $4 for a cheapo filter than cost 50 cents is not a good deal in my book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts