SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Once the car is done I would love to see it, fatship. I live in MA, so the ride wouldnt be too bad. I'd probally have a tough time keeping up with my sotck 9-5, but I'd love to go crusing or something. Good luck on the finished product. :cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
well dave, that clutch should hold all you can give it, but after only 5 miles of stage 4 running properly on ,my stock 100k mile gearbox, it blew up. grenaded is actually the correct word. i hope you can find a way to keep a gearbox together. a new gearbox is going in my car tomorrow morning. its from a 2000 aero with 40k miles on it. i sure hope it can handle all the power.

i will make a thread once i open the trashed gearbox and find out what failed. pictures will come too, since i have also never heard of someone destroying a 9-5 gearbox.

Nick

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
StX221 said:
well dave, that clutch should hold all you can give it, but after only 5 miles of stage 4 running properly on ,my stock 100k mile gearbox, it blew up. grenaded is actually the correct word. Nick
Thats a real shame, I had stage 4 and then a custom stage higher than that on my 4 speed auto for about 18months with no transmission problems at all :confused:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Thats a real shame, I had stage 4 and then a custom stage higher than that on my 4 speed auto for about 18months with no transmission problems at all :confused:
Yup, well after taking the tranny out and inspecting it, i blew up a spider gear in the differential, and shot it through the bellhousing, which took out the pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder and i needed a new transmission. kinda rough, but at least i blew it up good:lol: and it was completely undriveable!;)

ill have some good pictures up soon for you guys, so expect to see another thread, as i dont want to threadjack this one anymore.

Nick

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
did you pull the "usual" differential buster = allow one wheel to spin like heck while the other wheel is almost stationary at the same time, like pullig out of a corner?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Vigge said:
did you pull the "usual" differential buster = allow one wheel to spin like heck while the other wheel is almost stationary at the same time, like pullig out of a corner?
Uh oh...um, this is not a recommended accelerating procedure?:eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
at 07:30 this evening the monster came to life. i was scared as hell before i fired it up and then pleasantly surprised listening to the engine purrr. a minor leak was detected in the turbo coolant line where it attaches to the head and it smoked like hell for a minute or two so i shut her down, tightened the coolant line and now all is well. test ride and some pics tomorrow.

dave

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can not wait at all for the update. You seriously own my dream car, tell us all about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey fs, did you keep the deck plate you had custom made? I will need one if I do a rebuild and renting yours would be convenient for me and cut the cost for you.:p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
drove the car for about 75 miles today. its tough to keep my foot out of it but so far i have been disciplined. down low the car seems faster than the old setup......lag does not seem to be an issue. the engine revs quicker and maintains revs a lot easier. i am still running the custom stage III software i had with the stock turbo and so far have not experienced a check engine light. i hope to get custom tuned next week by frank SQR and then the fun begins.

dave

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I wanna be the first to say it, holy crazy bypass valve fatman! :eek: And what's that loop behind the horns in front of the AC condenser? I'm also confused by the IC, looks like half of it is behind the bumper? :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I wanna be the first to say it, holy crazy bypass valve fatman! :eek: And what's that loop behind the horns in front of the AC condenser? I'm also confused by the IC, looks like half of it is behind the bumper? :confused:
My guesses--

Loop: Oil Cooling? Had to be moved to get out of the way of the new IC
IC: If it's the size I think it is, it's hardly behind the bumper at all.

Is it just me or does it seem like the engine is at a slight tilt?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I'm also confused by the IC, looks like half of it is behind the bumper? :confused:
I hardly matters if the IC is behind the bumper FYI, just as long the IC big enough for the application.

My current set-up
the IC
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_new.jpg
with bumper, over 50% of IC surface covered by bumper.
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_done.jpg
and the results during 3rd gear WOT, with and with out bumper.
Ambient when buper off 21C and 20C when bumper on.
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_bumper1.gif

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
fatship said:
drove the car for about 75 miles today. its tough to keep my foot out of it but so far i have been disciplined. down low the car seems faster than the old setup......lag does not seem to be an issue. the engine revs quicker and maintains revs a lot easier. i am still running the custom stage III software i had with the stock turbo and so far have not experienced a check engine light. i hope to get custom tuned next week by frank SQR and then the fun begins.

dave
looking good. Hope everything goes welll with the tuning.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Vigge said:
I hardly matters if the IC is behind the bumper FYI, just as long the IC big enough for the application.

My current set-up
the IC
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_new.jpg
with bumper, over 50% of IC surface covered by bumper.
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_done.jpg
and the results during 3rd gear WOT, with and with out bumper.
Ambient when buper off 21C and 20C when bumper on.
http://viggen93.mine.nu/viggen/IC_bumper1.gif
Well that just confuses the hell out of me, but you've got the proof to back it up so cool. Think maybe you just have a way bigger IC than you need? That maybe one half the size tucked under the bumper would work?

How'd you measure the air temp, I'd like to do it and see how wayward the standard IC is. :lol:

41 - 60 of 268 Posts