SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
slowly but surely, things are starting to come together. the engine is back from the machine shop fully balanced and bored .040 over and will going back together this weekend and then back into the car midweek. the goal is to be ready for the 31st of may so that frank (SQR) can custom tune my car on the dyno. a few things held me up bigtime and if i had to do it again i would have built up a completely different engine to keep downtime to a minimum. the first big item was the manifold flange. without the flange, header fabrication could not begin and the project stood still for about 1.5 months. the next big roadblock was the fabrication of a deck plate. the deck plate is used to simulate the loading of the head on the block when boring the cylinders. as we all know, saab engines rarely need new pistons so a deck plate could not be sourced locally and was fabricated in california and shipped to new hampshire on the east coast. down for another month. it feels like monster gaarage with all these deadlines but unfortunately they are real and i will do my best to be ready by the end of the month.

the manifold after coating by swaintech

of course everything is polished

dave

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Alright, I gotta be the idiot for a second:

What exactly does .040 bored over mean, and what does it help out?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SectorNine50 said:
Alright, I gotta be the idiot for a second:

What exactly does .040 bored over mean, and what does it help out?

the new pistons are slightly bigger than the stock pistons they replace. stock saab pistons are 90mm(diameter). these new je pistons are 91mm (1mm or .040 inches bigger in diameter than stock). this is saabs second overbore. to ensure a proper fit... pistons are slightly oversized and the cylinders are machined to match the new piston diameters. increased piston diameter will give a slight increase in engine displacement and may improve hp a bit.
dave

stock saab piston/rod vs je-crower piston/rod

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Fantastic stuff as always Dave, shame there is no "green with eny" smilie :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kermit said:
So what do you figure is the engine displacement now Dave?
thanks for the compliments guys.

a standard 2.3l motor is actually 2.29l.....my new motor will be 2.34l.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dave,

Post the results of the Swaintech coating. I lost the heat battle and had to wrap as you can see but might try another type of coating if it performs well.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Me gusta engine displayed above.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
BrianS said:
Dave,

Post the results of the Swaintech coating. I lost the heat battle and had to wrap as you can see but might try another type of coating if it performs well.

*Drooooooooool

·
Registered
501 Posts
over here in Malaysia the deck plate is a generic 1.5" item with about 25 holes seemingly randomly drilled in it that magically line up with the head stud holes for all 4 cylinder engines ;oops: . Is is magic stuff that you had one custom made to suit your build and shows your awesome attentino to detail.

Good luck with it all :)

--lg

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
now i want to know some more about those exhaust manifolds. from where they mount on the engine, how far do they stick out widthwise? i've been doing some manifold designs lately, and i haven't drawn anything that fits in a narrow space while having good flow to the turbo at the same time. this particular design looks perfect.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Vigge said:
any updates?
well the 31st came and went and the car is still not running. i had the motor in the car in time but i still do not have all the plumbing worked out or an intercooler sourced. rather than just rush to try to get it going i figured it was best to take my time and do it right. we're also thinking about changing from T7 engine management over to NIRA, supposedly a plug and play swedish engine management system. project funding, however, is at an all time low and i may have i to stick with T7 at least for the time being. still on the todo list: plumb turbo, fabricate turbo intake pipe, downpipe, exhaust, and wastegate pipe, source intercooler and associated i/c plumbing. hopefully within the next couple of weeks i will have some progress made. all donations are welcome!
take care,
dave

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
About this Discussion
267 Replies
77 Participants
Jssaab
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing