SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brothers 02 9-5 has been giving me some troubles lately. It's 2.3 lpt linear, a/t, 75k miles. Its throwing random misfire p0300 and second cylinder misfire p0302 occasionally. It runs very poor at idle, but as long as its moving its running great. Its got good ngk plugs and I've switched dic from my car ('02 9-3) since they are same and nothing changed, my car runs great with his dic, his car still runs crapy.
I was wondering what else can trigger misfire codes? Would injectors throw different code?
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks, cracked lines etc. The vacuum lines tend to degrade over time and a vacuum leak could cause rough running and throw a p0300.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! Ok, I will do cheap stuff first -vacuum lines and see if that helps. If not, will check cps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hi, might be worth getting new plugs , or maybe swapping yours over to his to see what happens .
i`ve had brand new bosch plugs start to missfire within 3 weeks !!

mark k

my brothers 02 9-5 has been giving me some troubles lately. It's 2.3 lpt linear, a/t, 75k miles. Its throwing random misfire p0300 and second cylinder misfire p0302 occasionally. It runs very poor at idle, but as long as its moving its running great. Its got good ngk plugs and I've switched dic from my car ('02 9-3) since they are same and nothing changed, my car runs great with his dic, his car still runs crapy.
I was wondering what else can trigger misfire codes? Would injectors throw different code?
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your input, we fixed it last night. Timing chain was off by a tooth on the exhaust sprocket, realigned it and now runs great, no codes and no noise.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks, cracked lines etc. The vacuum lines tend to degrade over time and a vacuum leak could cause rough running and throw a p0300.
Second that, I changed LOADS of pipes for silicon which looks good in red.

When I took the old pipes off they weren't split as such but they are certainly perished and I noticed better throttle response.

So how did the timing chain jump?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My car seems to be doing the same thing, I didn't want to screw around with my dic so i just bought some ngk iridium plugs and injector cleaner, and we will see what happens.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how did the timing chain jump?
I dont think it jumped, i think it was replaced for some reason by previous owner and it wasnt done right. My brother bought the car with 62k and it always had a hard start and it was a bit noisy and shaky when idling but drove great. So 13k miles later it was getting really loud and it started throwing misfire codes (dont ask me why it didnt do that before). Good thing we have more saabs in family so we switched lots of parts from one to another and chain was last thing to check. It was off by a tooth, it was obvious and not that hard to fix. Now it runs very quiet, starts much better and there are no codes.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
CPS is a good preventative maintenance item if it is more than 5 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts