SaabCentral Forums banner

9-5 Heater Box

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  onedaddeo 
#1 ·
I am a bit perplexed with my heater box. I only have heat from the right side, and intermittent cold to sightly warm air on the left. I did have a code, and I did fix the left blend door arm with an aluminum replacement part. All stepping motors are working. I did remove the motors and moved the flaps manually (they moved freely), with no change in heat on the left side. I did the auto re-calibrate when I was done. I took the left, elbow vent off to gain better view of the parts. The blend door shaft is intact, and moves freely by hand and when the stepping motor is engaged. Is there a blend flap that I am missing? I bought the car used,(2001 Saab 9-5 SW 2.3L) and it was like this from the beginning. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Do you have any errors when you self-test the ACC? (start the car, push auto and off at the same time, watch and wait. the left number is the number of errors, the right number will be the individual errors)

An 8 in the right will indicate that the drivers side blend door is malfunctioning.

Having just done the drivers blend door repair (with the aluminum part from eeuroparts) I can tell you that cold on the drivers side, warm on the passenger side is typically the blend door.

Can you get someone to do the calibration while you are down under the dash with the elbow off and look to see if the blend door is moving when the calibration happens?

There have been people who have reported that the shaft of the stepper motor had gotten too far out and didn't engage with the gears and that disassembling them and pushing the shaft back in solved the problem. Run the ACC test with the stepper motor disconnected to see if it's doing what it should.

But SOMETHING is going on with your drivers blend door.

#3 ·
there are no error codes, I can see the step motor turn the shaft on the left side. I disconnected the left blend door motor and moved the shaft by hand in all positions, but it made NO difference to the heat. I did watch the motor recalibrate its self, from under the dash I don't know what is going on in the inner left chamber, as to what the actual blend door is supposed to be doing. the shaft is in the right position. I just know the shaft, and motor and everything I can see, if functioning properly. Is there a link that has diagrams the blend door in the inner chamber. I am beginning to think I am going to have to rip off the whole dash :cry:

#4 ·
Download the instructions from eeuroparts for installing the blend door repair kit (search for part BDKIT)

The instructions have some very good pictures of a disassembled heater box that shows how the blend door fits into the heater box

good luck, the dash tear apart is quite the job

#6 ·
thanks, there were a lot of illustrations, I have a better Idea of what I'm dealing with. I think the blend door backed away from the shaft. I am going to try to get it firmly back on the shaft, without taking the whole thing apart. If I figure out how to do it, I will post a procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.