SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So after many many years of delaying my fuel filter change (I think I last changed it in '07 or '08), I decided to do so yesterday. Mostly because I saw what happened on my brother's '01 9-5 (just rusted bits and started leaking gas). On mine, the banjo bolts and fittings, fuel filter bracket strap and bolt, and the filter itself on my car were crumbling with rust (as expected). I was more concerned with messing up the banjo bolts during this change, but disconnecting the fuel lines from the filter went much smoother than expected.

My problem came when I went to remove the bolt that holds the bracket around the filter... The 10 mm hex head was just disintegrated, any socket would just slip. It also looked like the rust from the bracket fused around the bolt washer as well. Instead of being patient and working the rusty bolt with PB blaster and waiting to get a stripped-bolt-remover set, I said to myself "Oh well, I'll just snap off the rusty bracket and buy a new one online." Wrong choice.

Turns out, I cannot find anywhere online that sells this bracket! Every site I've been to does not have it in stock and says that the part is no longer manufactured (4573903 part number).

It looks like I'll have to somehow make a bracket for it, but I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? Any guidance would help (or a link to a place that actually sells this part ).

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I wonder if you could get one from a west coast junkyard, or maybe someone here is parting out a car that they could sell you that part from. It looks like Saab used that same clamp on the classic 900 and the 9-3, and I would assume on the NG900, too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A west coast junk yard is a good thought! I just searched Saab salvage California and found this https://vsbmparts.com/. I'll give them a shot. Also, if anyone here does have a spare bracket lying around, I'd be interested.

In the meantime, I found a piece of scrap sheet metal and bent it by hand to roughly the shape I expected. I'll see how or if it fits . . .

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts