SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Robert and everyone,
Thanks for posting the photo as I was about to order the dogleg part for my 95 sedan. I'm trying to picture the part in your photo on the car itself and want to be certain that we're talking of the same thing. This is the lower body area between the rear wheel well and the rear door, above the lower body skirt? My car is an Aero.

Even though the bodyshop I got a quote from prefers to do their own fabrication, I think it is better to get this replacement part for them.

Not having jacked up my 95 yet, or have it on a lift, a probably silly question: what is the procedure for dropping the body skirt to clean the dogleg area?
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ill have my 9-5 back from the shop for a new exhaust system probably tomorrow or Thursday. I'll hold up the part to the car and take a pic to share. I have stared at the part for a long time and I can't see how it goes in. Google "saab 9-5 dog leg rust" and click images. You'll see it. Many 9-5s have this problem.

The body skirt is easy. There are bolts under the car and some screws that attach it to the rear and front fender plastics. I also opened the doors, pulled the bottom weather stripping off and it revealed some screws there.

I took it apart in a few minutes with no instructions. Its very intiuitive.

I am bringing the part to the body shop so they don't have to fabricate it. I also want them to take pictures as they do it.

I am going to POR-15 the rust I found on the side sills under the skirts. I applied this product to the inner part under the side skirts. I've used it before and I highly reccomend it. Easy to use and VERY effective. Very cool way of apply it to hard to reach areas. Click link below, you won't regert it.

One can will do both sills no problem. I bought a few cans to do the rest of the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I took some photos and tried to show you where this piece goes in relation to the existing metal.

The top area by my thumb is cut off it seems when installed. The bottom of the insert tapers down to form the bottom part of the side sill structure. Which is where the rust always goes. I like this aspect because this is where you put the jack. I have a huge hole in one side where jacks have punctured. Luckily the metal underneath is untouched.

The piece of metal that curves up the wheel well, as you can see, goes up further past where most of the rust normally is.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgive my confusion. Looks like what they send you is the inner and outer and the bodyshop has to fold the pieces to replace the rusted area?
Or is what we see there is actually the left and right sides and the bodyshop has to cut them apart?

Did the bodyshop appreciate having this fabricated piece? The guy I went to said he would rather fabricate his own metal to replace the rust. My thinking is to actually supply him with the replacement you used so that it is very accurate.
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ve worked with a few body shops they don’t mind you bringing in panels. It reduces their time looking for replacement parts. And let’s face it this is kind of a weirdo part.

If they won’t use this part I’ll simply go to someone that will. At least with this part I know whats being used.

What you’re looking at is the left and right hand side just on one metal sheet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ROFL. A Maaco wanted 3 grand to put in inserts and repaint front and back bumper. A Maaco!

I paid 4 grand for the car.

I could tell the guy didn’t want this job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ROFL. A Maaco wanted 3 grand to put in inserts and repaint front and back bumper. A Maaco!

As I stated earlier in this thread, I had a hard time finding a shop who WOULD do this job in upstate NY. Most were uninterested, wanting the quick bucks of insurance claim jobs. Some wanted very high amounts, over $1,200. Guess they'd do it IF you twisted their arm. The body shops of the old days, that eagerly did this kind of work, seem to be a thing of the past.

So I found someone who would do it for $500. He doesn't want the part but I'm going to get it for him anyway and ask him to use it. Probably get this done in September and I will report on the results. Thanks all for your advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I am going to take it to my old body shop that has done some very high end work for me in the past on other cars, friend's referrals, etc. They know me by name and will probably do it for me as a favor more than anything else.

I googled it at 500-700 both sides seems to be the running rate, which is I am willing to pay. The 3 grand for Maaco was for that work plus a bumper respray (front and back). Assuming each bumper is $500, thats still 2 grand for the wheel work. He said 10 hours per well? No way. I could get a heart transplant in what like 5?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Went to another Maaco. It’s about a grand for both dog legs and redoing the arches. For Another 1700 they fix all dings and then apply base plus clear to car. 5 year warranty. Probably going to have that done since the front and back bumpers are expensive to have done alone. These Dame Edna 9-5s are worth saving. My 9-5 is black and has lost its luster after 12 years

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems quite reasonable considering the amount of work they will do. Let us know how the result turns out.

BTW, as this is my first 95 (only purchased in the beginning of May), is it common for them to have MANY stone chip marks on the hood? My hood looks good until you look more closely and see the meteorite displant...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems quite reasonable considering the amount of work they will do. Let us know how the result turns out.

BTW, as this is my first 95 (only purchased in the beginning of May), is it common for them to have MANY stone chip marks on the hood? My hood looks good until you look more closely and see the meteorite displant...
Rock chips on any are car pretty normal. Especially 10 plus year old cars.

I do plan on having them do a complete re-spray. I found the shop I want to use. They can’t get me in for another month and they will have it a couple of weeks.

so yeah, it’s 2700 and they promise it will look great. I’m going to do a before and after write up. It will be a few months. It should be pretty interesting because Maaco is one of the less expensive chain stores that have a spotty reputation from last. But I’ve seen good work come out of them.

The only place I’m being a cheapskate is the crack on the very bottom of the bumper. It’s not worth $600 for replacement part. I’m going to use An appropriate epoxy and call it a day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also had an idea. I’m going to put POR 15 rust paint on the inside of this piece before they weld it in. Extra protection for areas once welded in I probably can’t get to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also had an idea. I’m going to put POR 15 rust paint on the inside of this piece before they weld it in. Extra protection for areas once welded in I probably can’t get to.
Sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't affect their welding and is not flammable.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I’m going to put POR 15 rust paint on the inside of this piece before they weld it in.
You might want to ask the shop if that's okay with them.

I received my patch panel today, only two weeks delivered to Canada.

I'm thinking of using panel adhesive rather then welding:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ll ask them. There’s something that I appreciate about welding. The shop specifically said that they would weld

·
Registered
15 Posts
My panel amazingly arrived in 1 day (to upstate NY)! Please let me know what your bodyshop says about the POR-15.

·
Registered
75 Posts
9-5 went to the shop this morning. I'm having a full repaint and many door dings repaired. I'll post pics in a few weeks.

Reactions: Troup

·
Registered
2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
8 Posts
9-5 went to the shop this morning. I'm having a full repaint and many door dings repaired. I'll post pics in a few weeks.
Did you ever have the dog legs replaced with those new stamped pieces? How did it go?

Appreciate the pics. I'm still scratching my head a little bit... it seems like they don't quite have enough contours for where I'm expecting them to go? Are they visible from the outside at all? Or are they an interior support piece?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever have the dog legs replaced with those new stamped pieces? How did it go?

Appreciate the pics. I'm still scratching my head a little bit... it seems like they don't quite have enough contours for where I'm expecting them to go? Are they visible from the outside at all? Or are they an interior support piece?
Sorry to say that I have not had them installed yet. In fact, I have not opened the box either. But I do intend to do the work late this spring. I'll keep you informed of the result.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts