SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just got an aero with some surface rust in this area. Snapped off the 10mm caps holding onto the plastic on the rear wheel well. Removed the curved piece of trim around the wheel well lip. This now exposed the backside of the dogleg.
Removed loose surface stuff and did the POR15 treatment. Thankfully my car is black.
Anyways, coated it completely front to back so hopefully it doesnt come back. Who knows.
All i paid was the starter kit of 30 bucks off ebay. I am testing it to see if its worth doing other autobody repairs with it.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
$425 is a good price if they're fixing it right. I did this on a Lincoln Towncar once...I wouldn't do it again for $425. haha

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have rust in these areas and I have done the POR15 treatments as well and then vinyl overlayed the areas with some vinyl that is pretty much a damn close match to the color of my car. I have talked to my friend who does body work and says that when I'm ready he will cut it out and weld in new pieces for me and we will coat them in POR15 so it won't happen again. Cutting out and replacing is about the only real way to take care of this issue and I do plan to repaint this car in future.

If they are slapping some bondo over it and/or just sanding it down, it will return, the metal in that area isn't very thick so there isn't alot to work with.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I paid $500 and they painted a new front spoiler for me for free :) It's been several years and so far so good, but I have stopped driving this car in winter.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
which "dog leg"

On Porsche's from the 356 up, the "dog leg" was part of the engine bay that supported the motor.

I have no clue on a Saab but it would be nice to know where the rust starts on these later cars. To date I have never seen a 9-3 or 9-5 with any rust issues and the worst corrosion so far was on the BBS RK II wheels when they had a bad run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Porsche's from the 356 up, the "dog leg" was part of the engine bay that supported the motor.

I have no clue on a Saab but it would be nice to know where the rust starts on these later cars. To date I have never seen a 9-3 or 9-5 with any rust issues and the worst corrosion so far was on the BBS RK II wheels when they had a bad run.
Dogleg is the part of the body in between the rear wheel and back door, above the rocker panel. And I may pull the trigger to have this done. It just looks awful and is only getting worse.

To clarify, they are going to sandblast, fill, then paint. If they need to weld in metal, they said It could cost as much as 600. Ouch! Im hoping they don't have to, as the car is an MY02, with 135k on the clock. Would it really be worth it? I guess that's up to me. Might look around for other quotes too..

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks, there is a point with these cars that we have to be prepared to live with what warts we have on them knowing that the money will probably never see any percentage of return. Always a tough call.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Personally, I plan to see my car to 300,000 miles and beyond (I have another 160,000 miles to go!)...I know its lofty, but I like this car ALOT, I see no need to get anything else except to keep this car, keep it maintained no matter the cost (a motor is $1,500 and a weekend? to me it is worth it), and I figure it has many years of rewarding left to give; you can't put a price on something like this if you really enjoy it. The only way I see this car leaving my hands as of this point is on a tow truck.

I do fear though there will come a day the government will force me to give up my love for petrol engines. :(

Right now, with a house purchase about to go through and we are looking to have our first child, we are looking at 2008-2009 9-7x's for her, I've liked what I have seen with them so far despite being a Trollblazer.

Reactions: 95brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am surprised there are not more posts and dialog about this dog-leg rust problem. I recently bought a 2002 95 Aero, 5-speed with 155k miles. Fantastic car, I love it. I'm the third owner and it was always well cared for. Living on the north east of the USA, this dog-leg rust is common to almost any Saab here.

The previous owner fixed it properly — cut away the rust, new metal — on one side a couple of years ago and they did an excellent job for $400. Rust is just beginning on the other side, it has not gone through yet. I also want to keep this car for the long term, so I want this repair done correctly. I am amazed that I have yet to find a body shop in upstate NY that will do this kind of work — they only want to do quick insurance claim work! I have to keep looking. If anyone has recommendations please tell me.

As for this dog-leg rust problem: I don't see any talk on the forum as to WHY this happens. What is the cause, so that we can try to avoid it? Does moisture get trapped by the rubber(?) wheel well gasket near the wheel well lip? If so, is it better to remove this gasket so moisture can drain? Or something else...?

Clearly this is a design flaw area on these cars. If we want to keep them on the road, we should be talking about how to improve these problem areas.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I am surprised there are not more posts and dialog about this dog-leg rust problem. I recently bought a 2002 95 Aero, 5-speed with 155k miles. Fantastic car, I love it. I'm the third owner and it was always well cared for. Living on the north east of the USA, this dog-leg rust is common to almost any Saab here.

The previous owner fixed it properly — cut away the rust, new metal — on one side a couple of years ago and they did an excellent job for $400. Rust is just beginning on the other side, it has not gone through yet. I also want to keep this car for the long term, so I want this repair done correctly. I am amazed that I have yet to find a body shop in upstate NY that will do this kind of work — they only want to do quick insurance claim work! I have to keep looking. If anyone has recommendations please tell me.

As for this dog-leg rust problem: I don't see any talk on the forum as to WHY this happens. What is the cause, so that we can try to avoid it? Does moisture get trapped by the rubber(?) wheel well gasket near the wheel well lip? If so, is it better to remove this gasket so moisture can drain? Or something else...?

Clearly this is a design flaw area on these cars. If we want to keep them on the road, we should be talking about how to improve these problem areas.

Thanks, Brian

There is more talk about it now than ever...on the Facebook pages.

Orio has come out with replacement doglegs for us now that you can just buy, FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, which Facebook page do you refer to, I'm new to much of this. I can find three for the 9-5? I just signed up for all of them.
I went to the Orio site, which I must confess is not very clear to navigate or to actually find. I couldn't find any reference to the dogleg replacement part. I'm interested in the cost of the part, to see if it would save cost in the repair of the rust section rather than have the body shop fabricate a replacement part.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There are a ton of Saab pages, some were once popular but then die off. Saab Owners USA, Saabs of New England (where the rust happens), and probably more. I have notifications turned off the groups these days and avoid facebook as of late (for obvious reasons of what is happening in this world)

As for the part, here you go. $150

Both my 9-5s are rust free at this point and time, one because I took it down to the frame, cleaned it up and it will never even see rain ever again. The other because I bought it as a rolling chassis from North Carolina and its never seen snow/salt until this year (I coated the frame inside and the doglegs before putting the side skits back on with a military grade wax and fluid film on everything else underneath). Even then I may still face issues down the line, so I plan to actually buy a set of these for my daily when that does arrive.

Underside of my wagon/daily:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In my experience, once there is dogleg rust, you need to look at the whole wheel well in the rear as well as the rear subframe mounting points on the frame as the dog legs tend to be the last area to show signs while everything else has already begun.

Other things that rust out and there are no replacements for are the brake dust shields, especially the rear ones as they hold the spring for the hand brake, once they rust out the handbrake stops working properly.

I have a couple brand new sets of dust shields and other parts that are no longer offered and keeping them for my cars at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I found a body shop that would do the rust repair work properly by cutting it out and fabricating new metal. I offered to get the replacement part but he prefers to do it on his own. Cost is $550 including repairing another surface rust spot on the same rear quarter panel, repainting the quarter panel and blending it into the rear door. Believe it or not, I got a competitive quote from another shop for $1,200 for the same thing! Anyway, I will get this done in the next weeks, so the car is good to go for winter.

Question: does anyone have preventative thoughts to stop the source of rust in these dogleg areas?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Wash it regularly. Drop the side skirts once every other year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone used that new Saab/Orio dog leg rust replacement part? Its brilliant the way you get both sides.

I may buy one just to have on hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts