SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 V6, auto. 90% of you have the 4 cylinder. Aside from the motor, what else is different?

The exhaust matches up, but until what point? The cat? The pre-muffler? The dp?

The suspension is the same? Ok, but I want to upgrade and drop the car an inch or so. Which brands will work the best? What about sway bars? Or is what I have good enough? Or is there a certain 9-5 model that would work better than what's available aftermarket? Does anyone make strut bars for our cars? As I've stated in other posts, the area above my C-pillars is flaking and cracking and that worries me because the car didn't have that problem when I bought it (I'm aware it's my driving that has caused the flexing, I'd like to stiffen the car).

I was told the V6 ECU is interchangeable with another 9-5. Which model and years? I want to have JZW tune my ECU and I'd like to have a back-up.

The intake/air boxes are the same? All of it or part of it? Until what point?

Any other differences that anyone could point out that would be relevant to enhancing the car? (aside from buying a 4 cylinder)

Lastly, has anyone ever figured out how to make the paddle shifters actually worth using?

-Thanks

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I have an '03 V6, auto. 90% of you have the 4 cylinder. Aside from the motor, what else is different?

The exhaust matches up, but until what point? The cat? The pre-muffler? The dp?

The suspension is the same? Ok, but I want to upgrade and drop the car an inch or so. Which brands will work the best? What about sway bars? Or is what I have good enough? Or is there a certain 9-5 model that would work better than what's available aftermarket? Does anyone make strut bars for our cars? As I've stated in other posts, the area above my C-pillars is flaking and cracking and that worries me because the car didn't have that problem when I bought it (I'm aware it's my driving that has caused the flexing, I'd like to stiffen the car).

I was told the V6 ECU is interchangeable with another 9-5. Which model and years? I want to have JZW tune my ECU and I'd like to have a back-up.

The intake/air boxes are the same? All of it or part of it? Until what point?

Any other differences that anyone could point out that would be relevant to enhancing the car? (aside from buying a 4 cylinder)

Lastly, has anyone ever figured out how to make the paddle shifters actually worth using?

-Thanks
Suspension springs are beefier for the V6, airbox same, Abbott makes strut bars for RWD only, SAS makes upgraded sways.

The ECU unit is the same for all 9-5 V6 and 4 but, the tunes are not. I have never seen a V6 tune there is not much there to add, tiny turbo and all.

They all crack at the seem above the C pillar if that's what you are talking about it was manufactured without using the proer filler there. I had mine ground out and the proper flexi filler added a year ago and it fine now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can understand the beefier springs, heavier motor. How is this going to affect my spring/strut and shock choices? If I go with an aftermarket suspension meant for the '9-5', will it wallow all over the road because it's meant for a lighter front end? Any recommendations?

Would the upgraded sways be worth it? Drastic or slight improvement?

I emailed John Williams and he graciously replied with the info on tuning the V6. I will be sending him my ECU.

Someone (forgot who) said that the V6 ECU is only interchangeable with 1 other model (again, forgot which model) and I need to be certain what will work with my car if I can't find another V6 ECU. I'm not going to drive my car around in cripple mode.

Thank you for telling me about the filler issue!

Out of curiousity, myself and several V6 owners would like to know where we can find proof of V6 engine failure due to more modifications.

-Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts