SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have recently bought a 9-5 Aero (2.3T) from '00. The car originally as 230bhp, or at least is what the portuguese oficial saab dealer claims to be the exact engine power.

When I tested the car in the power !!something!!, it seems that after 3 consecutive test procedures we got this final result:

Power: 262.7bhp
Torque: 390Nm

This without any modification!
Is this normal????
I'm reading about BSR ECU upgrades to reach the performace that I already have!!!!
Does anybody had the same experience? ;)
I am kind of green in this subjects. ;oops:

Cheers,
Tkovader

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Saab's power ratings are rather conservative, but i don't think they'd lose 32bhp somewhere!! Have you checked the ECU to see if its a standard Saab one? :roll: I think the previous owner has been tinkering with the car. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ye sit is possible, there is a viggen on these boards taht dynoed 232whp.. the same day same dyno as two other viggens that dynoed 220 and 215whp... so yes it is possible... Hell my 9-3 which is rated at 205bhp stock put down 222whp (260 sumthin bhp... ) almost completely stock....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It's also possible the dyno is wrong, needs re-calibrating etc. Do you know anyone else who has used it and got a similar unexepectedly higher figure?

Is the car a manual?

If so what gear was the power run done in?
The gear ratios of the 5-speed gearbox on a 9-5 Aero will give a slightly misleading figure as there is no ratio that gives close to 1:1 direct drive. But, I wouldn't expect it to be that far out from this alone.

Accurate in-gear acceleration figures will be a good clue to whether the dyno is accurate or not.

I would certainley check the ECU to see it there is a sticker on it from a tuner, but this will only indicate a ECU swop, not a reflash from a BSR PPC.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Ah well in that case i've got 600bhp, Finn has 720 bhp and Chris has approx 850bhp. :cheesy:
Now that's funny :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
where is the ecu located? i think that i may have the same situation. i have been able to burn vr6 jettas and other cars with well over 200hp while i only have 170hp.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Pop the hood, undo screws on black grill to the right of the wiper arms, lift gently to avoid breaking plastic, ECU is underneath. You don't know how far they have their foot planted in the VR6, i'd expect it to beat a standard 2.3 9-5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aeropilot said:
It's also possible the dyno is wrong, needs re-calibrating etc. Do you know anyone else who has used it and got a similar unexepectedly higher figure?

Is the car a manual?

If so what gear was the power run done in?
The gear ratios of the 5-speed gearbox on a 9-5 Aero will give a slightly misleading figure as there is no ratio that gives close to 1:1 direct drive. But, I wouldn't expect it to be that far out from this alone.

Accurate in-gear acceleration figures will be a good clue to whether the dyno is accurate or not.

I would certainley check the ECU to see it there is a sticker on it from a tuner, but this will only indicate a ECU swop, not a reflash from a BSR PPC.
Its a manual.
Right after testing my 9-5, we tested a Peugeot 206 2.0 CC and a Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC and the results were what was espected. So I think the Dyno was correctly calibrated!

Perhaps its better to check the ECU. In Portugal is hard to have access to a BSR ECU upgrade. :cry:

So I would expect to have a stock status upgrade.
Lets see!

I've tried the car in the HW againts a Audi S3 and it didn't had a change! At least that one!;)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
as with TK When i dynoed my car, all results of other cars were as expected as welll. so believe it if u want.. or deny it if u want... i have about 16 dyno charts for my car if u dont believe so crack all the jokes u want.:roll:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ricot didnt you have all sorts of hardware upgrades though? And werent most of your dyno runs immediately after resetting the ECU? I know later on you mentioned doing one off the street with no ECU reset but I would bet the numbers are higher immediately following a reset given T7's nature to adapt down when there is more efficient hardware than the software expects. I know with the stage 1/2, my car pulled much harder with the 3" downpipe/cat/exhaust after resetting the ECU (didn't dyno but it was obvious).

TKOVader, I see no reason why you would not have access to PPC in portugal. Give them the VIN and all the info for the car and they send software for it. It would be sad if you bought a PPC tuned car and didnt get the PPC though. There are so many variables here. Everyone loves a good mystery. :cheesy: Id guess the car has a stage 1 ECU of some sort.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the first time i ever dynoed i was with an smbc set to 12psi, (stock is 9 psi..) a 6cm exhaust side on the turbo and a saab sport 2.5" catback.. .this was the time i reset the ecu.. on these runs i put down 222whp, then 215whp both in sport meode.... then in reguloar mode i put down 211whp.

this year i have dynoed 3 or 4 times not really sure.. with all my mods minus the boost controller i put down 221whp with a 2.5" delivery pipe on... and stock crossflow IC.... then i dynoed without the delivery pipe and with the MP IC and i put down 217whp at 9 psi... i now have the smbc back in and will dyno sometime soon dependant on when i get my new O2 sensor in and CPS sensor in.

so i wouldnt doubt that the 9-5 could have that much power in it...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are these aeros "out of sight " machines or what :suprised; :cool:

These figures may not be so x-files because maybe they have something to do with the overboost facility ?

One time, we will find out exactly how this ob operates .......................

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
ricot83 said:
as with TK When i dynoed my car, all results of other cars were as expected as welll. so believe it if u want.. or deny it if u want... i have about 16 dyno charts for my car if u dont believe so crack all the jokes u want.:roll:
Lighten up Ricot, take a chill pill fella, we're only having a bit of fun. ;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ricot83 said:
no i understand bud.. i am just so fed up with people blaming dyno innaccuracy...(VIGGE) :roll:
Yeah fair enough, but dyno innaccuracy does exist, I've seen it all too often.

I've also got first hand experience of the puzzle of what you know is an original standard engine that defies explanation as too why it dyno's 20% more than it should, and that was on the same day and in the same session as a car that dynoed as predicted it should. Never did get to the bottom of it in 15 years:lol: :roll:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kermit said:
Ah well in that case i've got 600bhp, Finn has 720 bhp and Chris has approx 850bhp. :cheesy:

man you guys are nuts. i haven't laughed like this in a long time. very good kermit, keep up the good work. i figured that with some new spark plugs you could get into the 1000hp club.
dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you have a dyno error.

262hk maybe at dynamic pull. Static power will be less.

A 9-5 Aero manuell M-00 have 240hk/370Nm at overboost (20sec). Tests at carmagazines in Sweden in year 2000 shows 227 hk at a Rototest facility. With 10% loss in transmission it would be around 250hk.

Also tests at Nordic says close to 250hk for a M-01 Aero. A M-00 a few ponys less.

I change software in my M-01 Aero to M-04 Aero. It gives approx the same time from 100-150 km/h at the 3 gear.

/Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
tkovader said:
Hi,
Have recently bought a 9-5 Aero (2.3T) from '00. The car originally as 230bhp, or at least is what the portuguese oficial saab dealer claims to be the exact engine power.

When I tested the car in the power !!something!!, it seems that after 3 consecutive test procedures we got this final result:

Power: 262.7bhp
Torque: 390Nm

This without any modification!
Is this normal????
I'm reading about BSR ECU upgrades to reach the performace that I already have!!!!
Does anybody had the same experience? ;)
I am kind of green in this subjects. ;oops:

Cheers,
Tkovader
Hi there,
I'm also from Portugal and lemme tell you this: the dyno's here usually suck. They don't apply any correction factors, so things like pressure, temperature, altitude are not considered. I have a 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and I dynoed it 2 years ago. It measured 163HP (on wheel), while everyone on the US that had their bikes dynoed got around 150 / 155HP. So I guess that we can't compare our dyno results with US dyno results... Any further clues on this? Anyone from europe dynoed theyr 9-5's?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts