SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My AC compressor clutch bearing had some play in it and was making a noise when the compressor was engaged.

I read a couple of threads that filled me with dread, but it replacing it wasn't actually so bad. No removing the compressor, no depressurizing the AC lines, only two hours or so, most of which was spent fiddling with the snap ring on the pulley.

The part number for my 01 was Santech MT2149 and I bought it from Autozone for <$18.

The special-ish tools I used (that I remember):

To start, remove passenger wheel, remove crank cover, remove wheel well liner.

I used a Tech II to engage the AC compressor (Engine -> Activate -> AC Relay or thereabouts) with the ACC belt still tensioned. You could probably also use a strap wrench on the outside of the clutch. I used a 45 degree offset wrench to remove the 10mm bolt on the front of the clutch. You could really use any deep offset wrench, but I couldnt get a socket+ratchet to fit.

Shown with the belt removed, but this is how I used the deep offset wrench to remove the bolt.

Once the 10mm bolt is removed, you can disengage the clutch or remove the strap wrench. You can de-tension the belt and remove it from the AC pulley.

The clutch plate for the compressor actually has M8x1.25 threads in the front of it. After the M6 bolt is removed, you can thread in an M8 bolt and it will evenly remove the clutch from the pulley assembly. No 2/3 jaw puller necessary. I think the bolt I ended up using was around 20mm long.

There are three parts to the clutch assembly - the M6 bolt, the clutch plate, and a small washer/spacer that goes on the inside of the shaft on the clutch plate.

Here's what it looks like with the clutch removed

Removing the snap ring on the front of the pulley was a challenge. My normal snap ring pliers wouldn't work because they wouldnt open wide enough. Your pliers have to open from ~1" to 1.5" to stretch the snap ring out of its groove. I ended up bending a set of HF pliers into the approximate shape I needed.

After removing the snap ring, the pulley slid off the shaft.

The next step is swapping the bearing out of the pulley.
There are some detents on the back of the pulley to hold the bearing in place. I used a hammer and punch to remove the detents. The bearing gets pressed out of this side.

I put the pulley on the press and pushed it out of the back.

Then, I pressed the new bearing in on the outer race. You can also use the old bearing to press in the new one. It will hit the lip, so you cant push it too far (just be careful not to crush it).

I used the hammer and punch to put a couple of new detents onto the rim of the pulley adjacent to the bearing. I dont think it makes much of a difference, though.

Slide the pulley back onto the AC compressor shaft.

Then, install the snap ring back onto the pulley. The snap ring has a chamfer on one of the sides, this side faces away from the compressor (passenger side) when installed.

After the snap ring is installed, slide the clutch back on. Remember to include the spacer on the inside of the clutch against the splines or else the clutch will permanently engage when you tighten down the bolt.

Then, put the ACC belt back over the pulley and engage the compressor or put on the strap wrench and tighten down the M6 bolt.

You should be good!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up. My wife's Aero Sedan had the compressor bearing get very noisy. We should have done the bearing with the compressor in place, but I replaced the compressor....

I am now doing the pulley bearing with the old compressor. the pulley it at the machine shop having the bearing pressed out and the new one put in.

It is not a good idea to go too long on a noisy pulley bearing......I think we cut it really close, as the bearing fell apart taking it out.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wow, awesome write up and photos! I've always thought that my compressor makes odd noises so I should probably change mine out as well. How many miles did you have on your wagon when you changed out the bearing? Do you have any info on the bearing, a quick look at eEuroparts revealed no bearing available separately.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, awesome write up and photos! I've always thought that my compressor makes odd noises so I should probably change mine out as well. How many miles did you have on your wagon when you changed out the bearing? Do you have any info on the bearing, a quick look at eEuroparts revealed no bearing available separately.
~130k miles. The I linked to the part in the original post.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nice pictures, thanks. I can second that having the right tool for the snap ring is critical for this job. I got one from Sears that has a few different attachments and that got the job done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great writeup - an old thread, but I would just like to comment on some differences between OPs 2001 and my 2005.

For a 2005, the MT2149 is 1mm too wide and covers the snap ring groove when installed. It'll press in and the pulley will install, but sit 1 mm proud and preclude installation of the snap ring.

I have found 35BD5020 or MT2031 to be the correct bearing for my 2005. These are only two bearing numbers that conform to the 35mm inner, 50 mm outer diameter and 20 mm thickness requirement - there could be more.

I don't know when the AC compressors or pulley assemblies changed, but I had no provision to use an M6 bolt to screw the clutch out - it simply slid out, as did the pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts