SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!
I've got a fairly newly acquired 1999 9-5 Wagon, 210000km running strong. But has recently developed a strange "clicking" noise. I've attached a short video so you can hopefully identify the problem. I thought it could be a belt pulley or something like that. Perhaps the water pump upon research..I have no record from the PO that suggests that they've been changed.Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! I need the old girl up and running for a vacation in a week's time!
Thanks

https://youtu.be/UYIVnIW9lew

(I'm not sure how to embed these thingys ha!)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hate to say this, but if the clicking noise is coming from the passengers side of the engine (does it sound like it is coming from under the valve cover?) - it could be a worn timing chain. 210k miles is a clue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to say this, but if the clicking noise is coming from the passengers side of the engine (does it sound like it is coming from under the valve cover?) - it could be a worn timing chain. 210k miles is a clue.
I've suspected that, but I have some reason to believe that it was done at around 180000kms. Hopeful I know, but unfortunately I don't have such money to undertake a full renewal of the timing gear. Nonetheless, the noise seems to originate below that, closer to the front of the car. Making me suspect the water pump or perhaps the A/C compressor, as the noise appears to increase once the compressor is engaged. But could that be just the engine being put under more strain?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
it could be a worn timing chain. 210k miles is a clue.
The car has 210,000 kilometers on it NOT miles, huge difference.

The noise to me sounds like an idler bearing, tensioner bearing or accessory pulley bearing starting to fail.

Release the tension on the serpentine belt and see if the noise changes or goes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.