SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I live just north of London, and the big ends suddenly started getting noisy this afternoon. At the same time the engine temp gauge went into meltdown, and the oil light came on. I managed to stop the car and after around half an hour was able to start it up and drive it a total of six miles to get me home. However, I had to do the trip in two shorter stints, with a half hour break in the middle to let the engine cool down again. It sounded OK on start up each time, but if revving above 1500 rpm would start to knock slightly, and after about half a mile I could see the temp gauge starting to rise till it hit the red after about 2 miles or so.

Guessing that the big ends have had it, I need to know where I can get a new set of big end and main bearing shells, preferrably within striking distance of Jct 23 of the M25? I will probably also need a new set of conrod bolts and nuts, and I am wondering if there is a problem with the water pump, as big ends knocking shouldn't cause the engine to overheat as far as I know.

Any help or advice on this would be more than welcome. The car is a 1999 9-5 2.3 T with the low power turbo putting out 170 bhp, and an automatic gearbox.

Many thanks,

BobH

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bob , there are a gazzillion places to buy bearings.
Parts for saabs, Europarts, Ebay just to name a few.

Cheers,
JR

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi Bob

Sounds pretty bad in truth. Is there any history regarding the oil/sludge etc.
The 9-5 models are very very well known for engine failure. Have a looksee on this forum :)

Ok, parts
Here http://www.partsforsaabs.com/ is probably as good a source as any. They are likely to have everything you want in one place even if they are not the cheapest .

Personally i would buy nothing whatsoever until I had jacked the car up removed the sump and checked the damage.
It may afterall be terminal i am sorry to say (certainly in respect of outlay against residual value)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, thanks for your replies. I think it is pretty terminal for that engine, so I am now in a bit of a quandry. I don't have much money at the moment, and as a stock gap I've had to buy another car just so that I can get to work. In the long term I think I'll try to source another complete engine, preferably off a later car, but one that will still connect up to the current peripherals. After that who knows? If I'm feeling flush I might keep it and sell off the car I've just bought (a Nissan Sunny!), or I might sell the Saab and just accept that although when going they are really nice cars to drive, that comes at a very high cost.

Best regards,

BobH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts