SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please forgive me if my searching was off, can't find anything concerning this issue.

I've got an '11 9-4x Premium, 3.0 liter, non-AWD. Thank heavens I was able to dump my crow-hopping 9-7x just in time. Somebody up there likes me.

Last Saturday night, I was pulled over by the sheriff's deputies due to my rear running lights not being on while driving. Brake lights work perfectly, and the LED center light strip is also working fine. I have just never noticed if the bulbs that are the brake lights also work at a lower brightness as running lights on Auto in the dark.

They let me off with a warning (after concluding that I was neither drunk nor a drug dealer), and I immediately pulled both tail light housings to check things out. The single bulb that I would assume functions as both running light and tail light is a Toshiba bulb with a single element, contrary to what I'm used to seeing (the old 1157 bulbs with 2 elements).

The closest I could find to an explanation on the web is a guy in Vegas who's trying to sell a 'mod' on eBay that allows the brake lights to also serve as running lights. He wants $190 or best offer for what looks like a CD-ROM which probably just contains a pdf of instructions to jerry-rig something.

Can someone help me understand if the brake light bulbs should be operating as running lights, or if the LED panel serves that function? I'm a little confused.

Also, if anyone has seen a rain sensing windscreen anywhere I'd be really happy to know about it. Mine's seriously cracked...

Takk,
Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your struggle. Sounds like you lost your L & R LED running lights in you tail lamps. Your running lights are not bulbs and are not associated with the brake lights. They are LEDs and are very complicated to repair. Please join the SAAB 9-4x Club on facebook. On that site, you will find some resources to fix your tail lamp issue. Apparently this happens to a lot of the 9-4x's and new tail lamps are impossible to find. There is a guy on the facebook 9-4x club site that actually repairs your tail lamp's LEDs and gets them functioning again. Read through the threads and you'll find him. For my 9-4x, I purchased the "mod" fix from the guy on eBay selling the rewiring setup. It's a fairly straight forward fix and you can use actual bulbs to fix the issue. I have not done it yet since I currently have a complete LED set across the entire bar and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to do this, so I have supplemental running lights in addition to the LEDs. If you need the rainsense windshield go to: https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=985025668. They currently have 17 in stock at around $460 each. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have another alternative to the rear LED problem. I have neither a left or right working LED taillight and my middle bar was starting to fail. My mechanic came up with the idea of making the brake light a running light as well. He wasn't sure he was going to be able to find the right fighting socket for the duel light but after a few days of research he found the socket that works. Funny, it came off a "rare" car from 2002! Anyway after two trips to Vegas and him taking apart my tail lights we have working running lights! No more worrying about not being able to drive at night. Before I had him do the work I took it to Casa de Cadillac/ Saab and they quoted me for the electrical work, and not knowing what parts were needed, he said anywhere between $475 and $700. I hate the dealer and quickly remembered why I don't go there. I told that to my guy in Vegas so now he is selling the kits on EBAY and he said even if you can't do yourself I am putting down on paper typed instructions and that it should take no longer than 45 minutes with a qualified mechanic if anyone that buys it can't do it. I did one better, I made a video of the entire process and he made it part of his package. So there you go. We can all rest easy! There is a picture on the ebay page that shows the working running lights.Here's the ebay link: https://10carbest.com/best-tailgate-light-bars Video that shows what it looks like:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts