SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if 9-4x has a rear fog light? I could not find any switch on mine, but I really hope it has it somewhere hidden, one of my favorite features of Saab. Nothing in the manual about it.

Thanks,

Taras

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear fog light

I´ve got one 9-4x imported to Sweden 2017 and it was modified (by dealer) just adding a switch on the panel, so I assume it´s prewired for it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that it uses an independent switch (I know this is typical on the 9-3s), and doesn't just activate the rear, and front fog lights off the same switch if the BCM were switched to Euro spec. I of course am assuming that a Euro spec BCM setting even exists on the 9-4X which never managed to officially make it out of the US.

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts
I opened my housings tonight. Guess what? The light pods below the reverse lights are fake. Literally nothing in there. Ridiculous. Going to add additional reverse lights though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
How bad were they to get open? I've noticed a fair bit of condensation in mine, and I'd like to get them sealed up a bit better before the water kills the electronics.

You just used the oven at ~170 for 10 minutes, then pry gently method?

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts
How bad were they to get open? I've noticed a fair bit of condensation in mine, and I'd like to get them sealed up a bit better before the water kills the electronics.

You just used the oven at ~170 for 10 minutes, then pry gently method?
No don't bake these, they will probably melt - not like headlights. The outer lens is sonic-welded to the housing. Nearly impossible to separate, although you could probably do it with an expensive ultrasonic knife. I used a hot knife to cut through the rear housing plastic and will melt it back together when done. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that there are fake lights on the 9-4X. Inoperable or inactive, sure. But fake is ridiculous. I can't think of any other car that has fake lights like this.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Any thoughts on where all the condensation would be coming from given that the edges shouldn't have any sealing issues like a headlight might?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My center LED strip is half failed, and has condensation inside. My rear taillights also have condensation, but no operational concerns yet, so I want to fix the condensation before it starts causing problems.

Does that answer your question?

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts
My center LED strip is half failed, and has condensation inside. My rear taillights also have condensation, but no operational concerns yet, so I want to fix the condensation before it starts causing problems.

Does that answer your question?
Which tail lights have condensation? The inners or outers?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I didn't realize the housing was internally segmented, and just figured that condensation would spread throughout.

I am noticing it along the top where the housing runs along the body line of the car towards the front, and also at the top on the back of the car. I haven't noticed it anywhere else lower in the housing. I'll have to look more closely when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts
I didn't realize the housing was internally segmented, and just figured that condensation would spread throughout.

I am noticing it along the top where the housing runs along the body line of the car towards the front, and also at the top on the back of the car. I haven't noticed it anywhere else lower in the housing. I'll have to look more closely when I get home.
Sorry let me clarify. Which of these two do you have condensation in?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I got home, took one look at my car and totally understood what you were asking lol. I had forgotten about the fact the rear fog light would be in the lamp located on the tailgate, not the one in he body pillar 😂

My rear body mounted lights, and light bar have condensation. The inboard lights mounted on the gate appear to be fine. I plan to open the outboard tail lamps and light bar at some point for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
9,276 Posts
I got home, took one look at my car and totally understood what you were asking lol. I had forgotten about the fact the rear fog light would be in the lamp located on the tailgate, not the one in he body pillar 😂

My rear body mounted lights, and light bar have condensation. The inboard lights mounted on the gate appear to be fine. I plan to open the outboard tail lamps and light bar at some point for repairs.
OK - I would advise against trying to open the tail lamps or lamp bar unless you know how saabled.com folks do it (no idea - maybe they have an ultrasonic knife - they're like $400-500). The plastic is welded together and it's super easy to break them - almost all tail lights today are constructed like this vs. headlights which are easy to open by comparison. Hot knife or dremel maybe but getting them back together may look strange once done since you'd be able to see whatever sealant you used. Unless you decide to cut around the back with a dremel and go in from behind, leaving the outer lens to body weld intact, but even that may not get you the access you need and then you have to try and get everything back together perfectly.

On to the condensation issue. On the outer tail lamps at least, there are factory goretex patches which allow moisture out but not in. They are small gray circles and there are at least two of them - make sure they are present. If not, you can order replacements here:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/goretex-patches-53794.html

Or, you could go a step further and order this and drill a hole:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bolt-on-breather-vent.html

To get rid of the moisture that's in there, remove the bulbs/sockets, place the entire housing in an airtight container or bag, and put a bunch of silica in there with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Desiccant-Moisture-Dehumidifiers-Corrosion-Prevention/dp/B01MZ4ZQ3Z

or

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Premium-Packets-Desiccant-Dehumidifiers/dp/B00DYKTS9C

Do NOT heat the housings up in any way with condensation present - you'll leave water spots on the inside of the housing and then you're screwed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts