SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my exhaust system from UK. After I installed, the tip of the muffler is not fit to my car. Please take a look . What can I do about it. I'm very upset. I'm sure that the installation had done correctly. Help me peopleee!!:cry:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It looks like you are missing a support strap or a bad welding job. Was it like that when you picked it up?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That is the exhaust for the cars without a bumper cutout so it is designed to hang below the trim. You need the one for the Aero cars with bumper cutout so it is higher in the car and fits your cutout.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the same problem with my BSR exhaust. The location of the tailpipe is such that even when the muffler is literally pushed right up against and touching the chassis, it's still too low.

I plan to do something about it in the future - just not quite sure what yet. One option would probably be to cut the tail pipe off and grind off the original weld so that it's just the end plate (with a hole from where the tailpipe was) at the end of the muffler. Then weld on a blanking plate, cut a new hole in the blanking plate and weld the tailpipe back on. Certainly a job for an exhaust shop... What a PITA.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is not a problem with the kit you just ordered the wrong one. If you want it to fit in the cutout you have to order the one for that, the "Aero" one. Otherwise the kits for cars without cutout are designed to hang below the bumper, replacing the Linear and arc with hidden tips.

http://www.ray.se/Katalog/PDF-katalog/Saab.pdf

·
Registered
409 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
please spin muffler 180 degrees :lol:
haha, I know you're only joking but I'd seriously considered that.

The problem is that not only would the pipe entering the muffler need to be cut and re-welded, but the hangers would have to be flipped too. Also, my tailpipes have "BSR" printed on the top and a seam underneath, so I'd need to get them cut and re-welded also... :evil:

If I had a decent welder and an oxy-acetylene torch I'd be keen, but I just don't have the equipment (or skills, yet).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Exhaust tips

But Nick, on your web site it tells us to order the bumper trim kit for the cutout for the muffler tip. I was debating the Jetex but not if it comes out like the OP's photos. Is it not made to exit through the cut in the bumper? I have an 04 9-3 cabrio.

NickTaliaferro said:
It is not a problem with the kit you just ordered the wrong one. If you want it to fit in the cutout you have to order the one for that, the "Aero" one. Otherwise the kits for cars without cutout are designed to hang below the bumper, replacing the Linear and arc with hidden tips.

http://www.ray.se/Katalog/PDF-katalog/Saab.pdf

·
Registered
392 Posts
Apology to Nick

So sorry to jump Nick. I did not realize the OP had bought his exhaust from somewhere else. My apologies for what I said earlier (below),
Incidentally, I think I will soon be ready for your catback for the 93 Conv.

SoftTop said:
But Nick, on your web site it tells us to order the bumper trim kit for the cutout for the muffler tip. I was debating the Jetex but not if it comes out like the OP's photos. Is it not made to exit through the cut in the bumper? I have an 04 9-3 cabrio.

NickTaliaferro said:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
not to hijack this thread... but does genuinesaab carry exhaust hangers that are shorter than the stock ones? my catalog sport muffler is hanging a little too low...

·
Registered
922 Posts
IMHO what you really need is someone who is good with fiberglass, bumper needs to come off, then sand off excess, get color code matching paint.

Make sure you watch the news before you go out in Bangkok, at least from the BBC viewpoint there was fresh rioting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts