SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Saab 9-3T with a standard transmission. In any gear with the engine below 3000 RPM, if I step on the gas and the turbo peaks (while the engine is still below 3000 RPM), the engine sputters. It's like it's hitting a governor. If I let off the gas (letting the turbo spool down off peak) the sputtering goes away. If I downshift and floor it (getting the RPM above 3000) then the problem doesn't surface. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for your question.

I work in New Haven though, on State St... You ever in that area??? Maybe I could take a test drive with you after work one day. I also have a 2003 Vector...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was there a solution to your problem? I have a 2003 9-3 Linear and I have the same problem. I would really rather prefer to not spend alot of money toubleshooting this if I don't have to

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
Are these manual or auto?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Manual. I have tried changing the plugs to see if there was an issue there, but there was no change.
It might be a coilpack. I used to have an issue similar to this on my v6, and changing the coilpack worked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It might be a coilpack. I used to have an issue similar to this on my v6, and changing the coilpack worked.
I have that issue on my v6... sputtering under medium acceleration when the car is in low revs, you literally feel the torque dying with each sputter... it stops after a second or 2
is that the issue you were having? ill have to change my coilpack if thats the case...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solution

It was indeed the coilpack. The code that was being thrown was for cylinder #3, so I switched out the coilpack (which was really easy... toughest part was finding a torx bit for the aluminum cover on the engine... i think it's a T30). Fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine would sputter all the time and occasionally would throw a code (the service engine light would come on and then go off). So I went to autozone and got them to pull the code (for free). I Googled the code + saab 9-3 and it told me that I had a problem with cylinder #3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
will a coilpack issue always throw an error code?
im having the stuttering issue on my v6 but dont see any errors on my sid
which makes me wonder - do all errors throw a warning on the sid?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my experience has shown that a bad coilpack only occasionally throws an error... and when it does the dash light will only blink a couple times and then extinguish.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It'll only throw a code once it's bad enough to be picked up, slight misfires here and there are significant enough. On the V6 I've heard they're notorious for not only having bad coilpacks, but also not telling you until it's horribly obvious that something's wrong...or not telling you at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It'll only throw a code once it's bad enough to be picked up, slight misfires here and there are significant enough. On the V6 I've heard they're notorious for not only having bad coilpacks, but also not telling you until it's horribly obvious that something's wrong...or not telling you at all.
i guess thats my problem
is this something that would be covered under "engine warranty" ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2.0T I recently got the maptun stage 2 and its been awesome but when I was driving under full boost in 2nd on it sputters almost sounds like its back firing. There is a noticeable drop in power. Don't think its limp mode nothing is coming up on the dash saying I have a issue. But there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2.0T I recently got the maptun stage 2 and its been awesome but when I was driving under full boost in 2nd on it sputters almost sounds like its back firing. There is a noticeable drop in power. Don't think its limp mode nothing is coming up on the dash saying I have a issue. But there is a problem.

what mods do you have done other than the tune?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i guess thats my problem
is this something that would be covered under "engine warranty" ?

That would be based on your mileage (and age of the car but it looks like you're still within the 5 year mark) but it should be covered without an issue. There's a big thread about this somewhere, some people have also had issues the replacement aftermarket coilpacks also failing. I'd read up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts