SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Thats is a really good review. I'm impressed:cool: Now I'm just hoping for the XWD to live up to the hype it has been getting recently.
Beating a 911 turbo:confused::cheesy:

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
a.)
Cliche` said:
'96 Honda Accord tail lights...
What?

b.)
Cliche` said:
It's still got Toyota Tundra door handles
What?

Being able to hold a load of groceries and out handle one of these taking the kids to soccer practice... Priceless

btw... your 9000 door handles are more tunrdra-esque than any other car door handles ever manufactured

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Taillights, I can understand. But door handles? I really hope that doesn't stop you or anyone from purchasing this car :roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for posting the link.

I like the new 9.3 with the wrap over fender hood of the 9.5 design.
Makes for a clean line on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Actually only during typical highway cruising conditions will the rear diff get up to 10% torque.

The system is capable of sending up to 100% torque all to just the rear diff (or anywhere < 100%). And with the rear eLSD, up to 40% of the torque sent to the rear diff can be varied between the right and left wheel.

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/saab-9-3-range-simplified

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=PR&symbol=GM.N&storyID=27224+14-Nov-2007+PRN&type=qcna

http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/pressreleases/4/index.shtml

Matthew said:
Disappointing that only 10% maximum of engine torque will be transferred to the rear wheels. Compare to some of Audi's Quattro 4WD systems where a maximum of 30% ends up at the front wheels.
So still essentially FWD then.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This system is similar to the v6 golf 4motion that I bought and I all I can say is that it is hell of a fun and amazing traction. On wet road you feel like king with 0 traction problems. I hope that the car will be fixed before the winter ends as I would love to give it a try on snow as well. But on gravel if you push it hard with the traction control off it makes the back end drift so nicely and then in one moment it feels like it gets claws out and just throws you forward ;)

This saab would be more powerful so I expect that it will be a very, very nice ride.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
SO what is the point of all the extra weight and slop when 5% goes to the rear wheels? I would pick a different car if I had thoes kinds of funds.

Well "XWD" sounds cool, hope is wins the buyer with the name.

At least the car looks pretty. THe 9-3 SS is sexy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Comon, it has been discussed 100 times - 5% goes to back when more is not needed for traction. As soon as more is needed it will deliver up to 100% to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sounds like a great review, mostly directed at the XWD.

Certainly it's nice if SAAB can compete well with the Germans and the Japanese on that level of AWD performance - maybe it will gain some new customers this way. But I still think the 9-3 SS in its standard 2.0T and Aero versions are not getting enough attention. I think they are really sweet cars. On Edmunds, customers rank the 2007 9-3 in the high 9's on a 10-scale! But many popular professional reviewers still sort of snub the car - sometimes I feel that's just because its name is SAAB.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
deniss said:
Sounds like a great review, mostly directed at the XWD.

Certainly it's nice if SAAB can compete well with the Germans and the Japanese on that level of AWD performance - maybe it will gain some new customers this way. But I still think the 9-3 SS in its standard 2.0T and Aero versions are not getting enough attention. I think they are really sweet cars. On Edmunds, customers rank the 2007 9-3 in the high 9's on a 10-scale! But many popular professional reviewers still sort of snub the car - sometimes I feel that's just because its just a rebadged vectra with little to prove otherwise.
There I said it, while the 9-3ss is a nice car it's nothing close to what's needed to beat the germans and now the japanese. AWD isn't enough, that's just a band-aid fix to make a car with a poor chassis handle like one that was properly engineered. The fact that the 9-3 isn't offered with any engine that you can't get in a vectra really stands out to the automotive press and the rest of the car isn't enough to make up for that. To simply equal the germans and the TL, IS, G35, and now the hyundai genesis, GM's going to need to give saab a car with a stiff chassis, precise, communicative steering, and handling dynamics that are equal to that BMW, Audi, and Infiniti can do. Then XWD can be the icing on the cake.

But if GM's not going to give saabs the chassis and suspension that they deserve, then at least give them engines and interior materials that differentiate them from their platform-mates wearing opel and vauxhall badges. I think it's criminal that you can't buy a saab with the 260 hp direct injection ecotec, and it's almost as bad that the 2.8t doesn't have direct injection or make more than 300 horsepower. Who is going to buy a 9-3 aero fwd when an acura TL makes makes more power, has a better shifter, has a much higher-quality interior and costs the same amount of money. Forget the 9-3 aero XWD which now costs almost as much as a 335i. What would YOU buy, a car with a 310+ horsepower direct injection six, a superb chassis, interior, and handling, not to mention that little roundel on the hood....

No, GM needs to give saab cars that inspire lust from saab faithful and the uninitiated alike if it wants to give the brand any hope of success, and it seems to be along the right path with the refresh. I just hope that GM sees fit to give the next-gen 9-5 and 9-3 the CTS-quality interior, BMW-level engines and BMW-level handling that the brand needs to go along with those aero-X looks. Then they should have a winning package on their hands that should be able to win over the critics.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
ACBarnett said:
Who is going to buy a 9-3 aero fwd when an acura TL makes makes more power, has a better shifter, has a much higher-quality interior and costs the same amount of money.
I drove the TL and compared it against the 9-3 test-drive. I didn't like the TL. Yes, it had a fabulous interior, but I felt disconnected from the car, and I hated the shifter/clutch behavior. It was a strong engine that did not feel inspiring. The 9-3 really makes me smile to drive it, even despite the less refined ride and the less refined interior.

Car critics are just like the movie critics - they get lost in the business and become way too academic.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I haven't test-driven a TL and I'm sure it feels as disconnected as any acura

that said, I'd do bad, bad things if they could get me a 6-speed as nice as the TL's for my 9-5

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
ACBarnett said:
I just hope that GM sees fit to give the next-gen 9-5 and 9-3 the CTS-quality interior, BMW-level engines and BMW-level handling that the brand needs to go along with those aero-X looks. QUOTE]

GM is never going to make an engine as good as BMW. BMW does many things wrong or poorly like window regulators, but they know engines. They also know chassis tuning you would have to think Porsche for something better.

The new 9-3 XWD may end up being pretty sweet. Let's give it a chance. In a year they can turn up the boost to give it some sizzle.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yes, it would be hard to mistake Ugly Betty for a pregnant bleach blonde loud mouth. Some of the car magazine writers have caca for brains. Am I missing something or are they saying the the new "re-skinned" 9-3 is a much better car because of the new sheet metal?

Can he be stupid enough to think a person can buy a "base" 9-3 for 28K USD and add Xwheel driver for 2K?

Does the new sheet metal alone make the new 9-3 so much better than the old 9-3 (ie: Christine vs. Ugly Betty)?

Well, if articles like this help Saab, then I'll accept it....but don't appreciate his literary skills.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts