SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Based on checking around ebay and around here, I ordered myself a gently used fob w/ cut (not my cut) key from ebay and swapped out the circuit board from my old beat up key.

So now I've got a great fob and need to replace the physical key with a new one. Where can I get a blank and where can I get it cut? I found one for $30 on ebay that includes cutting, any chance I might be abe to do better then that?

Also, there's a key fob on ebay that appears to have a key in it, but the seller claims there's no key. Is this person an idiot, or are there fobs that just have some kind placeholder in them?

Thanks!
-jason

·
Registered
211 Posts
why dont you just put the key from your old fob into the new one?
or is it just nasty looking?
i know one of my fobs have the buttons practically falling off..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Based on checking around ebay and around here, I ordered myself a gently used fob w/ cut (not my cut) key from ebay and swapped out the circuit board from my old beat up key.

So now I've got a great fob and need to replace the physical key with a new one. Where can I get a blank and where can I get it cut? I found one for $30 on ebay that includes cutting, any chance I might be abe to do better then that?

Also, there's a key fob on ebay that appears to have a key in it, but the seller claims there's no key. Is this person an idiot, or are there fobs that just have some kind placeholder in them?

Thanks!
-jason
was it hard to swap the intenals? i havent opened mine since i got it, but the dog got ahold of it and the buttons are in the greatest condition and a new casing is all i need...

and to answer your Q, why do you need a new cut? why not carry over the old one?

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
We all have the same problems. No problem that one of us has is unique!

I treat my key very carefully. After 5 years, it still looked great. However, 5.5 year, a little wear. One month later and it's cancer spreading. The wear is a bit more.

The battle is lost. We should do a group buy and buy 200 of these key fobs. :p We'll all need one eventually.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zrider and jn2 - yes, my actual key is gross too. It's got the cancer majorly advanced.

In regards to swapping the internals, a monkey could do it. The physical key actually is perfect for prying the fob open from the top, then you just carefully remove the circuit board and pop it into the 'new' fob. It's one piece, very easy, it just pops in/out - just mind the tabs/clips, mine came out without moving them at all, ymmv.

Yeah Dave mine's been disgusting since day one, it just feels disgusting in my hand with that oilyness and playdoh feel - I can't take it anymore.

-jason

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I've discovered (via my sons sloppiness) if you get soda like coke or Pepsi on the FOB and it's not cleaned immediately, the rubber starts to deteriorate....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
After 4 years, my entire fob has softened significantly. The rubber surrounding the metal key is also kind of soft and you can sort of knead it, yucks! Why can't they mold it in plastic I cannot understand since that part of the key should last as long as the car!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After 4 years, my entire fob has softened significantly. The rubber surrounding the metal key is also kind of soft and you can sort of knead it, yucks! Why can't they mold it in plastic I cannot understand since that part of the key should last as long as the car!
Mine's the same way, I could probably rub it off of there and make a little black disgusting ball.

So I'm guessing there's no easy way to get blank keys for a good price then?

·
Registered
34 Posts
After 5 years, it still looked great. However, 5.5 year, a little wear. One month later and it's cancer spreading. The wear is a bit more.
lol...exactly my situation. I called the dealer and they said $46 for a replacement fob at a dealer in willow grove, pa.

Could be a potential solution for someone with little patience to wait for ebay to ship.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
well i decied to try and open the key to see how easy it would be, like posted above, ****s so easy its rediculous...took some pics, will post when my damn phone decides to email them to my photobucket account...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
step 1:
put the key in little hole thing, key was made to be used to open the fob up

once you have it seperated, it looks like this

than grab the little piece sticking out on the right side, little stub, be gentle when prying it out, it comes out pretty easliy just lift it from the bottom side first, than pull it out..

than you have this, to reassemble follow steps backwards with your new fob....remember to press the fob all around to make sure it all snaps back in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I am doing repairs on this kind of remotes over here in germany for some pocket money. Therefore I am always hunting for parts. meanwhile I have some experience with 9-3ss keys also. And I got hold of some parts like housings, electronics and key blanks. Interesting thing about this is, that there was actually a hard plastic version of the key existing, but I think it's not produced anymore. Why? Maybe bcs. it's too long lasting and cannot be sold twice (or more) :cheesy: . Unfortunately I just have few left of them. Single housings are easier to get...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Damn they look better in hard plastic...how much in USD? U selling just housing and blank key? Or a whole ready to program unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, but the 46$ for a keyfob mentioned by OXBX08 sounds really cheap. Just maybe something like a package of for example keyfob with key + housing for refurbish your old key would be worth it shipping to US. If you are interested send me a p.n. and we could figure sth. out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts