SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a lot of Saabs, but only one '03+ car … and that '08 Aero SC has been very good to me! I may have a need (ha!) for a newer convertible early next year, and I'm just curious what people think of the top mechanism. I haven't read about all that many problems, but I was hoping folks could weigh in with their experience. I'd ideally be shopping for an '07+ (non fiber optic) car, but I'd take an earlier model if it was otherwise the right answer. So, if there's any appreciable difference in convertibles, 1st gen vs 2nd gen, I'd love to hear that too.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I have met some (not many) bad sensors in top mechanism. Sensors are expensive and some of them need to open rag to swap.
Typically 1 car have more than 1 bad sensor, because sensors are duplicated and if other sends OK, STC ignores bad sensor. When other sensor also went bad, top refuses to work (manual operation only on SID)

I personally like old front more (lower), newer front looks like it is going deep uphill.
Remember that newer ACC continues to operate with auto even top is open, older goes to manual mode.
You can disable aircon compressor via SID when open top.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Be careful of '04 models. They had at least one top recall and I'm told that dealers did not necessarily find the work lucrative enough to do the recall properly. The front latch cylinder goes with some regularity on the '04 models as well, and costs big bucks to fix (ask me how I know). I think later models were pretty solid.

The interior quality is steps down from that of 9-5/OG9-3/NG900, including panels, door pulls, switchgear, seat coverings. These cars can look really shabby inside just from use (never mind neglect and abuse).

Drivetrains are several. From my experience, if going for a four cylinder with manual trans, go for the 2,0T (210 HP) with the six speed, it's very nice.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...so '05 will be the earliest model year, which is fine. Most of the '03/'04 cars are pretty junky anyway. I just really wanted to be sure the SS didn't go through the same headaches the NG900->OG9-3 did! I like the older front end as well, but (as always) I dislike the old dash. Maybe I will luck out and find an '07, which would be perfect.

The car definitely needs to be an automatic, but it doesn't matter whether it's four or six cylinders... as long as it still has all its intake valves. :) Although if I could find a broken '07 that I could the head work on, I'd be 100% happy to do that! I like buying broken cars that I can fix and know they're going to work right, rather than hoping someone else kept up with maintenance. :)

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Remember that 04-05 convertibles have "pillow look" front head restraints, not V shape like all 4/5D and 06- CVs.
4 cyl have 5 step auto V6 (and newer 4 cyl Aeros) have 6 step auto.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any opinion on the overall reliability of the 5-speed auto vs 6-speed? My understanding is that overall they are fairly similar, and the valve body a relative weak spot in both of them. My auto Aero suffers from slightly delayed R->D shifts, and sometimes a clunky shift when pulling away from a stop. New fluid (ATF1 LV) helped a bit, but I'm sure it's just the gearbox. I have never driven a 9-3SS with a 5-speed auto to compare.

Since I am looking for a convertible, it will probably have low miles... people who buy convertibles around here don't tend to drive the year round. Typically I see them '08 models with well under 100k on them. There's a nice '08 Aero available right now with 70k on it, for example. I probably do not want an Aero, though... big wheels and low suspension is not going to make my parents' lives easier. :)

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
6 speed auto gearbox with B284L is much better than 5 speed auto gearbox with B207R. My friend have now both 5 and 6 speed aut gearboxes in his 9-3s and he thinks same way (both with B207L).

I bought BG oil change to my convertible last summer and oil was DIRTY. After oil change (and gearbox reset with TECH2), gearbox is much smoother in changes and overall better. So I highly recommend oil change to gearbox.

In my m12 9-3 Griffin (with A20NFT), which have also AF40, whole gearbox acts different, because E39 controls gearbox AND engine. It shifts down when you drive downhill with cruise to prevent speeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts