SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning all

My 1998 9-3 - one of the oldest, a 2.3na manual 'vert (RIGHT-HAND DRIVE! probably relevant) - has developed symptoms of a failing brake master cylinder - tapping the brakes produces a normally firm brake application but gentle pressure on the pedal causes the pedal to drop and an initially softer brake application. This seems to be in line with conventional wisdom of the symptoms of a failing BMC anyway.

Can anyone advise if BMCs are the same part number through the 900NG and 9-3 OG normal models (I know the Viggen differs) or if there are any differences? I will probably go for a new replacement off the shelf if available unless anyone has advice about whats best to use? My assumption is that its a General Motors part and probably shared with the Opel Vectra, but I was wondering if the change to hydraulic clutches over cable clutches in 1998 led to any changes in brake hydraulics as well?

Any advice welcome - thanks

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Your best bet is to check in EPC. Especially as you have an "oddball" car, you want the info straight from Saab, not what those with LHD cars assume is correct.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turns out the brake master cylinder for pre 2000 RHD Y3SD 9-3s is no longer available as a new part (4543948). While it is similar to certain Opel/GM BMCs it is not identical as the hoses come off at different points or angles.

And models made after 2000 have a different BMC - bolt pattern has changed but seemingly otherwise identical. I bought one of each type secondhand on eBay, fortunately that one that fitted works well. Was my plan to use the non-fitting one as a source of parts to repair my vehicles original BMC in the event that the fitting one was leaky, but this proved unnecessary.

Also bought a set of replacement seals, and kept the removed leaking BMc as a spare to rebuid if needed in future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts