SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 9-3 that won't shut off when I pull the key out of the ignition. The engine shuts off, but all the electrical stays on. I tried disconnecting the battery, but as soon put the cable on the headlights came on. I just drove it up to the gas station and the ABS and brake light came on. How do I shut my car off??? What is going on with my car??? Life is tough without a Saab!

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
You likely need a new ignition switch. You can try spraying significant amounts of WD-40 down there, but you'll probably need to replace it. I think a few guys here have refurbed them by disassembling and cleaning the contacts.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Is the ignition fully popped out and to the left? My ignition got sticky and started doing this used some electrical cleaner and wd40 and that fixed it.

Also my key retention is broken so I can also take the key out while driving

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Are all the electronics staying on or is it just the radio and headlights, those will stay on for as long as the key is in the slot (even if turned to the lock position), once you pull the key out the cylinder should pop up about 1/8" and then everything will shut off. If that is the problem then it's the mechanical part of the ignition that needs attention.
Remove the antenna and trim panel around the ignition, insert key and turn to off position, use something long and thin and stick it in the hole in the shifter housing at about the 5 o'clock position around the ignition and then you should be able to depress a little lever hidden inside and pull the key and lock cylinder out. The lock cylinder can be disassembled, the part to pay attention to is at the top outside of the inner cylinder, there is a little angled piece that is spring loaded, when the key is removed this piece is meant to spring out and push the inner cylinder up, either the spring gets weak or it gets stuck with old grease.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Help me too, please?

I have a 99 9-3 that won't shut off when I pull the key out of the ignition. The engine shuts off, but all the electrical stays on. I tried disconnecting the battery, but as soon put the cable on the headlights came on. I just drove it up to the gas station and the ABS and brake light came on. How do I shut my car off??? What is going on with my car??? Life is tough without a Saab!
Yes I'm having a similar problem (or maybe the same problem, not really sure). When I take the key out, the radio stays on and all as if the key is still in, and when I open the door, the car makes that "bing-bing-bing" noise that warns you that your key is still in the ignition, even though I've taken it out. Recently, I have gone out to my car only to find that the engine won't turn over. A boost to the battery is enough to get it running again, but something is obviously draining my battery. Is there any way that this ignition stick problem could be sucking up enough energy to exhaust my battery? Also winter hit hard in the past week or so with temperatures dropping without warning. Could that be affecting it? By the way it is a 2000 9-3 base model convertible, if that matters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll have to add this to my list too.

I was in a plumbing supply house the other day. Walked around their yard looking at salvaged hot water radiators for 30 minutes or so. Returned to the car and the radio was playing. Key was in my pocket.

I'm just a little more cautious now to make certain I give it a jiggle when I take the key out but I can see I'm going to have to service that ignition switch soon.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I've found that once the battery has gone fully dead once, it take a lot of driving in the winter to fully charge the battery again.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I had an alternator fail about 60 miles from home in the morning. I turned around, shut off as much electronics as I could. When I was about 2 miles from home, we had a downpour. The wipers would barely move. Once home, I charged the battery overnight with a 6A charger. The next morning, the car wouldn't even crank.

So, I headed down to Advance Auto parts with my 35 month-old battery. The guy tested it and said it needed to be charged. I told him that I charged it over night with a 6A charger. He told me that 'Those Things' won't charge a battery. And, I said "Then why do you (they) call them battery chargers?"

He also told me that he wouldn't honor the warranty, so I went to the next closest Advance place, and they exchanged the $125 battery with no questions asked.

The only thing that I didn't do before I charged it was measure the battery voltage. After the overnight charge, it measured 10.7 VDC, so I assume that one cell had shorted out. Since the newer batteries didn't have the caps to check/add electrolyte, I couldn't measure the specific gravity on each cell to determine the failing cell... Ron

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
Yes I'm having a similar problem (or maybe the same problem, not really sure). When I take the key out, the radio stays on and all as if the key is still in, and when I open the door, the car makes that "bing-bing-bing" noise that warns you that your key is still in the ignition, even though I've taken it out. Recently, I have gone out to my car only to find that the engine won't turn over. A boost to the battery is enough to get it running again, but something is obviously draining my battery. Is there any way that this ignition stick problem could be sucking up enough energy to exhaust my battery? Also winter hit hard in the past week or so with temperatures dropping without warning. Could that be affecting it? By the way it is a 2000 9-3 base model convertible, if that matters.
If the ignition is popping up when you take the key out, you likely have an electrical problem that needs to be addressed with a new switch, located deep under the key cylinder.

If it's not popping up, it's a mechanical issue that can usually be addressed with vigorous WD-40 flushing down the key cyl and under the edge/cap. Turn it back and forth many times and continue to flush. Flush under the cap once it pops up. Keep a towel around the area to avoid overspray.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just brought mine in for ignition switch this week. I had the "not popping up" issue. for maybe a couple years. I always seemed to be able to get it working again with WD-40 and others. Then for the past couple of weeks,I had difficulty getting it to turn. One final spray with WD and then it wouldn't turn at all,,no way ,no how. Stuck! Got the car back from our Saab tech. Not bad,used key and cylinder and 2hrs labor. He said he can get the cylinder from Sweden made to match the VIN. Just time and more $$. I hope you get a few more years out of your cylinder/switch. One good thing is if the key won't turn in the cylinder,it's not electrical! I hate electrical probs. Not my forte.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.