SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 9-3 Viggen: The interior panel that resides under the steering column and above my clutch, brake, and gas pedal is sagging and occasionally catches my shoe when i'm easing off the clutch...yea...that's no fun.

Examination shows that there should be some sort of fastener that secures the panel...near the middle, just above the brake. I've got a hole in the panel and another in the substrate...the question is, what fastener holds it in place?

Would someone be so kind as to crawl into the driver's side foot well and let me know what's there holding that panel in place at that point?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
There should be two plastic fasteners holding it up, one that goes in underneath the fuse box, and another one above the pedals. Saab calls them "expanding plastic rivets", and the last time I checked, they were close to $10 each. They tend to break if you don't know how to release them, so my guess is that someone broke both of yours when they took the panel off one time. There's a pin in the middle that you push in, and then the fastener drops down. If you take the panel off, you can see what they attach to. There's a round white plastic piece on the fusebox for one of them, and a black plastic right angle bracket above the pedals for the other. It's possible that you could find something at an auto parts store that would work for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine was doing the same thing when i bought the car, couldent work the clutch for crap. i tried some of the screws that were laying around but none of them worked so i ended up just zip tieing it thru the mounting holes. ghetto but atleast i can work the clutch now and you cant tell unless you get down there and look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the speedy answers.

I think my local Advanced carries those fasteners...I can think of a few spots on the car where they are needed. I'll stop by there today and pick up a pack.

I appreciate the help here. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts