SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Like I stated in my last post that I was looking to purchase a Saab but I don't really know much about them. Anyways... Went to see an 07 9-3 Aero today and everything went good at first. I mean car is in great shape interior and exterior and considering I am from Canada to find a Saab that has next to nothing rust was nearly impossible but there it was. Guy told me he has no problem with the car but his mechanics told him that the fuel injector needs cleaning. Anyways I was so stoked in the condition of it, I knew I was gonna buy it. Until...... I took it for a drive, at first everything seems fine so I decided to jump on the freeway to see how it drives at high speed. After a few times opening the throttle, the car started to studder like it was gonna die on me bit it seems to get better when I give it a Lil. At the light before getting back to the guys house I noticed the CEL came on so I showed and asked him about the studder and he said it happened a few days ago. He turned off the car and turned it back on again and the studder went away and didn't come back. By that time I was already back at the house. I have been reading about the v6 engine here and there and it seems like it could be the coils. And since I don't know much about Saab I just want to see what you guys think. Also the price is right , its almost half the amount I was gonna pay for the v6 wagon. I mean I like the car but don't really want to pay for a complete loss on it either. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This happens on these V6's, most of the time without throwing a check engine light. Getting read to replace both coils and plugs on mine. The third time in 241K miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3rd time? does the your car gives the same problem as I described above? Does replacing coils and plugs fix it? And is it ok to drive it for a couple of days if I decide to buy it. I mean it did not misfire the whole time I was test driving it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
3rd time? does the your car gives the same problem as I described above? Does replacing coils and plugs fix it? And is it ok to drive it for a couple of days if I decide to buy it. I mean it did not misfire the whole time I was test driving it. Thanks
I was driving mine for a year with bad coils. As you stated, only misses on hard acceleration. Driving with a light foot is perfectly fine. Only other time I had issues was when my ac was on. The extra load caused it to miss a little more, but not drastically.

If you want, which is what I did, lay on the throttle to cause it to miss, and stay on it. Let it miss till your service engine light starts flashing. Get the code pulled at autozone or any place with an obd2 reader. It will tell you which cylinder is missing. Then you can replace that coil pack with an OEM. Yes it must be OEM! I bought a cheap one for 40 bucks and it only caused issues.

It's also a 9-3 arc 4 cylinder, but the situation is similar.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Then you can replace that coil pack with an OEM. Yes it must be OEM! I bought a cheap one for 40 bucks and it only caused issues.
The OEM ones are so unbelievably expensive... but if that's what it is, then that's what it is...

eEuroParts has them listed at $142 a pop... guhhhh

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The OEM ones are so unbelievably expensive... but if that's what it is, then that's what it is...

eEuroParts has them listed at $142 a pop... guhhhh
Then don't own a Saab

And I think they upped the price, I think I paid 114 for mine. You could always get used ones on eBay if price is that big of a deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... Thanks for all your inputs, I decided to buy the car :). Picked it up today and as long as I wasn't heavy on the pedal there were no misfiring going on. Came home and got a chance to run the scanner and it did show that cylinder 2 was misfiring but on top of that it also pulled a P0089. After searching on google, it seems like it's gonna be the fuel pump. Anyways, what are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
04 9-3 Aero, 08 9-3 Aero, 09 2.0T XWD
919 Posts
I'd get the coils first. I've had experience with both misfiring 2.0T's (4cyl) and 2.8's (V6). If it were me, I'd source a replacement coil.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Jump up and down and be thankful that it's #2 (front of engine)... coil pack.

Then stop jumping up and down because fuel pump is expensive and a PITA if you attempt to DIY. You could maybe get lucky and it be the pressure regulator but unlikely. The decent news is people seem to drive around with this code being thrown for a long time. The system seems to be very sensitive. Better gas may help but don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2007 Aero has the 2.8T V6.
I've had three of these engines (2006 Aero, 2008 TXSS and now TXSC), all misfiring sooner or later and have had good results with coils from Beck/Arnley (was Bosch OEM inside the box) and Delphi:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441698,parttype,7060
To prevent future misfiring, many recommend a slight undergap of the plugs, to make the spark fly easier.
Cyl2 can be (relatively) easily swapped in front of engine, #1,3,5 are harder to get at the back (firewall) of engine.
Sort out the misfiring, check the fuel pump, then get a tune - it's like a new car!
I've had Brian's Stage0 (no hardware changes) tune on all 3, http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?p=48
...but there are others as well, JZW, BCB...
Good Luck and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
128 Posts
theres probably (old) Bosch 0 221 604 104 in there, update these to Bosch 0 221 604 112

or any other coil recommended on here, for some reason the updated Bosch can be hard to find nowadays.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just to add to what Swedespeed07 posted...

A translation of that service message ... from the way I understand it (at least on the v6) is that when the fuel pump gets old and worn out, the fuel injectors compensate more and more... and when they have reached the limit on being able to compensate for a failing fuel pump you begin to get driveability issues.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Been there a lot during the first 2 years of ownership. Multiple coils replaced under warranty and still missfiring... until the discovered that the cylinder number given by techII was wrong unless they scanned it with a caddy cts setup... then it was fine. It started missfiring again last spring (warranty over) So I decided to replace all 6 coils and been running like a champ since then. The back ones are a bit hard to do but not impossible if you take your time and follow the instructions on the WIS sheet (I saw it on the forum but cant remember where/how to search for it).

Good luck it's a great car! It's like a high maintenance GF, costs more but rewards you with lots of pleasure!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate everyone's inputs. Anyways I want to get all the fluid changes out of the way first since I'm waiting for coil pack and spark plugs to arrive. Also waiting for my haynes manual to come also. What do you guys recommend for oil and filter and transmission fluid. Thanks

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Oil: Mobil 1 0-W40 full synthetic.
Trans Fluid: You must use the OEM GM AW-1 trans fluid for this transmission. I don't recall there being a cross-reference to an equivalent fluid, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.