SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a 99 9-3 wih 66000 miles on it. It had sat after slowly dying out and finally not cranking anymore. I looked all over to find potenial reasons, and came across a bad crank shaft sensor. I changed that with no avial and was curious what else could be the problem. It seems to be turning over well, but never catching. I feel that it could be a bad fuel pump, but am not sure and wondering if it could go bad after jsut 66k miles. Any input would be great as I am reaching a deadline of having it fixed before it must be towed away. Thanks again, Zach.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
At that mileage only 1 component is likely to have failed, the DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette).
Test the DIC by inverting it and put spark plugs in it then secure it and have somebody crank the car. Don't touch the DIC or you'll get electricuted :nono;

If you se no spark, the DIC is dead

The CPS (Crank Position Sensor) lasts 125K- 150K
The fuel pump lasts 100K -160K

The 99 is the best year to buy so grab that sucker if you can get her cheap :cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
And, to add, IF the plugs are wet.... then....it is the DIC, 99.9% of the time.

The black ones used in the 9-3 may be covered by warranty - extended..

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
earthworm said:
And, to add, IF the plugs are wet.... then....it is the DIC, 99.9% of the time.

The black ones used in the 9-3 may be covered by warranty - extended..
Good point EW.
By the way the 1999 is a T5 and has the old red DIC. Those aren't covered by warranty :nono; eventhough they were just as bad if not worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all the response I am going to check it out today and see if the plugs are wet. Where is the best and or cheapest place to get replacement direct ignition cassette? Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
One of the sources : http://www.eeuroparts.com/(akyqnz45itsxj2q1mso1afu0)/home.aspxAt first we guessed and replaced the CPS; now it appears we have two good ones ?
Please do the diagnosis, check things out.
For all we know, the plugs may be totally shot -something like that.
These cars are poorly maintained by far too many:nono;

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Could this be a clogged fuel filter also. Check the output pressure on the fuel rail. If it died gradually, it may be that too.

abad connection to the ECU is possible too

Also check the fuel pump fuse and relay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts