SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I searched but seem over my head. 2000 9-3 and need new tires. Was at Sam's club and they said they had to be "V Rated" and so there's some Michelin's at $130 a pop.

This seems excessive.

Now I have no owners manual for this thing and don't have a clue. Is "v rated" really a necessity? What would one figure on paying for decent, "good" tires for a 9-3. I'm an "agressive driver"....lol.

Where in a city like Nashville would one look for the necessary equipment?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
V-rated is probably neccessary if you're an agressive driver. I have Z's and they will still loose grip way too often. :roll:

Are you looking for all seasons? If so then to get an all-season in a V rated will be kind of expensive. They must mean the Michelin MXV4 plus, this is what came on my car and they seemed to wear pretty well. I wasn't too impressed to keep them though, but I upgraded tire sizes anyways.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Tirerack(.com) They will tell you the size tire you need based on make/model/year (assuming you have stock sized wheels) and you'll have many, many tires to choose from. The letter rating is a top-speed rating. You really want to get the proper ones for your car, and tire rack suggests a minimum rating for your car as well.

Tire rack also allows you to search your area for a local installer, which means the tires can be delivered directly to that installer.

Load rating will affect the balance between wear and grip on your car. My lower load rating tires (89 or so) have a softer compound than the higher rating (91 or so). This means that I get more grip and less life out of my tires. If you're looking for a good commuter/general use tire, I'd look for a cheap, all season, lowest recommended speed rating, 91 load rating tire. The load rating is also followed by a letter, but I dont know what that means, and it seems to always be the same for each load rating.

If you want grip, and are not worried about snow (how IS nashville for snow), I am fairly happy with my 89 load rating Yokohama AVS-E100's on the Viggen. These are Summer-Only, so not for snow AT ALL. But between these tires and my bigger rear ARB, I can mash the gas pedal much earlier coming out of a corner without spinning the inside tire. Very cool.:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
what is this rating system ... i beleive i have some sort of ventus tire .. that is h rated . sounds inferrior to V rater

actually found out my tires are z/w rating

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The letters are speed rating. Its something like "the maximum speed the vehicle can sustain on given tires at normal load ratings" or something like that. H is 130 and V is 149+ I think. Its not that you plan to go that fast, but if the tire performs well at 130, then think how good it is at 70.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Right, it is a rating on how well the tire will hold together at speed. The manuafcturer has to put on a tire which is capable of hadling the top speed of the car. The 900, at least, tops out at 144 mph, therefore the V rated tires. I don't think that MXV4's are the only V rated Micheleins, they are all-seasons, if I remember correctly. You can get much better performing tires for cheaper. Tire rack is definately the cheapest place to easily get tires. I get Kuhmo Ecsta 711's (Z-rated) which are a high performance summer tire for $53 a pop and they are just fine.

Saab purists often insist on Nokian, but they don't carry those at tire rack!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I just put 205 16 Falken fk451's on my 9-3. Summer tires not all season. I love them. I got them at Discount Tire Direct, they were $320.00 for four and I think that was with road hazard. They offered free shipping at the time. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts