SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm sure I'm about to get nit-picked about not posting right or posting a topic that has already been covered somewhere (If so- please link me).

Anyways, I jumped into my 2006 9-3 2.0T yesterday and put my key fob in. Everything was as usual, and the steering wheel of course unlocked with the familiar "click". Then, as I shut my door, the power died. Turns out the vibration of me shutting my door had knocked my negative terminal right off my 1 year old battery. It was loose. Not to worry, I grabbed a wrench, tightened it and thought I would be on my merry way. Except when I put my fob back in, I get an unfamiliar "ding" accompanied with "Steering lock malfunc Make a safe stop Contact Saab dealer" displayed on my dash.

My steering wheel is currently unlocked, the car has power from a tested and good battery, and the key still unlocks the doors and such. What should I start with?

I've already left it with the battery disconnected overnight and when I tried again, the same thing. All my fuses seem to be okay.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
It may take a few start and stop cycles for wheel lock to work normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My nearest Saab Tech II garage is 172 miles away, the nearest Saab specific shop is 225. My car won't start at all if that wasn't cleared up and a rather experienced local shop (authorized Subaru shop) looked at it and made tons of phone calls but couldn't do anything without a Tech II and Saab software. They disconnected the gear selector to take it out of park and onto a flatbed. Right now it is sitting at the garage lot waiting for its ride 172 miles away to be looked at. I love my car to death, but this is very discouraging. I'm lucky I have my old vehicle: a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 160K on the clock that you couldn't kill if you wanted to in the meantime. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Have them check the battery voltage to make sure it's still good. And don't take "it's good" as an answer. Give us the actual output.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sounds like either the spring is stuck in your ignition switch or you have the main boss error and you are up **it creek without a paddle repair wise.

The ignition switch module is around 130 dollars and a simple fix. If it is the CIM, you are looking at $1,000 or more to fix.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Replacing the battery inside key wouldn't hurt either. Low battery inside key can cause troubles too.
Not starting or running that car. That is run by the RFID chip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like either the spring is stuck in your ignition switch or you have the main boss error and you are up **it creek without a paddle repair wise.

The ignition switch module is around 130 dollars and a simple fix. If it is the CIM, you are looking at $1,000 or more to fix.
This is why it makes me so happy to know that the previous owner replaced the CIM in my car as well as the steering lock column. Now I just need to repair/replace the ISM.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm sure I'm about to get nit-picked about not posting right or posting a topic that has already been covered somewhere (If so- please link me).

Anyways, I jumped into my 2006 9-3 2.0T yesterday and put my key fob in. Everything was as usual, and the steering wheel of course unlocked with the familiar "click". Then, as I shut my door, the power died. Turns out the vibration of me shutting my door had knocked my negative terminal right off my 1 year old battery. It was loose. Not to worry, I grabbed a wrench, tightened it and thought I would be on my merry way. Except when I put my fob back in, I get an unfamiliar "ding" accompanied with "Steering lock malfunc Make a safe stop Contact Saab dealer" displayed on my dash.

My steering wheel is currently unlocked, the car has power from a tested and good battery, and the key still unlocks the doors and such. What should I start with?

I've already left it with the battery disconnected overnight and when I tried again, the same thing. All my fuses seem to be okay.
Welcome aboard tanner, lots of good people here. Worse case, try the trusted "disconnect NEG battery connection for 10-15 min". That resets many anomalies on our cars. I understand yours was loose and perhaps on again / off again for several short amounts of time. Give it a try, it often works on most Saab electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind advice. I couldn't tell you the exact battery information but my mechanic had it hooked to a jumper. I also tried replacing the batteries in both of my keys and it recognizes the key no problem, the wheel just will not lock. It just has the annoying error that prevents you from doing anything. I pulled the steering lock and ignition fuse a bunch of times, let it sit 48hours with both terminals disconnected and it never fails to have the error. The Tech II shop said it has to be plugged into a Tech II so I guess I am at their mercy. They say the car is immobilized, which makes sense since it says "make a safe stop".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Conclusion

So my car is fixed;ol; Total was $951 for a new ISM and CIM with the tow 170 miles included. The dealer said they replaced those two things and I'm assuming worked their tech II magic and my car is perfect again. Sad it had to happen, again thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn I couldn't imagine having to take my car 170 miles for major repairs. Glad you got everything fixed though and are back in your Saab.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just had the steering malfunction warning come up this weekend on my 2008 9-3ss. I took it into our local guy today and the TechII shows the ignition switch has had it. New one on order from Eeuro and should be here soon. The guy at the dealership was fine just running a quick scan for me. as I've only had the car for a month.

Being a manual it still seems to have no problem starting or allowing me to shift. Ugh, the joy of Saabs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Would having the steering lock disabled via techII cure these issues? (it would have to be a private techII and not from a shop as they will not disarm a safety feature)

·
Registered
799 Posts
You cannot TechII your way past the CIM. I have been looking to see how I can convert the car to a standard ingition but I feel I may end up financially invested far beyond my level of comfort to continue.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have seen several of these cars return to normal after just Tech2 clearing codes...Steering Column Lock code B3948 00 and others can block fob turning after a low voltage/loose terminal/battery dieing event.
Have also seen some early SCLs on their last legs, ie will work after battery disconnect only one time, continue working after removing from the steering column, but keeping hooked up (with mounting screw "loose")
Certainly replacing an ISM and a CIM will ultimately resolve this as well.
And good luck trying to bypass SCL/CIM/ISM system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I parked the car with the steering wheel at an angle. When I tried to start the steering lock (very recently replaced) wouldn't unlock. After 5 tries it finally did unlock.
Does a little WD-40 fix this? Is there a write-up on how I can get to the steering lock? Is there a 'manual' unlock?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts