SaabCentral Forums banner

3921 - 3940 of 3964 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Dang an Aero for your first car?? Make sure he knows how lucky he is! Nice!

Terrible timing for us obviously - sold our Combi about a year ago, what a great machine that thing was. Drove both our kids home from the hospital in it! The 9-4X is nice and roomy but doesn't quite have the same charm as the Combi.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Made this quick exhaust video recently after doing some welding repairs:

Nice tone! Yeah I think my son feels pretty grateful. And he’s about to get fresh suspension all around. Going stock on that. Now I just pray for no collisions or mishaps... this Combi is in such great shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
Did you have it shipped or did you go get it?

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
Looks like Sport Combis are all the rage! I just picked this 2006 2.8 up in Kentucky as my son’s first car. Making Kansas City its new home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice! That thing is CLEAN!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Made this quick exhaust video recently after doing some welding repairs:

Beautiful sound! Did you ever figure out the vibration from the front wheels? I'm still struggling with it. Going to change the first hub bearing assy. today, then go from there. A fourth shop couldn't find anything wrong, and yet it's still there.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Beautiful sound! Did you ever figure out the vibration from the front wheels? I'm still struggling with it. Going to change the first hub bearing assy. today, then go from there. A fourth shop couldn't find anything wrong, and yet it's still there.
Thanks! Not really no. It's only an issue when I have passengers in the car which is really never. Still a mystery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks! Not really no. It's only an issue when I have passengers in the car which is really never. Still a mystery.
Ok, thanks. Mine is there all the time, starting around 50+ MPH. Got new rotors, twice. CV joints and drive shafts are fine, got them inspected. No noises from the suspension. Starting with driver size hub bearing tonight and crossing my fingers. Passenger side is next if this doesn't help. The last shop has done very good work for me in the past. A senior mechanic inspected the front end, no conclusions. They actually asked me to contact them if I figure this out. After that, I'll need a magician!

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Ok, thanks. Mine is there all the time, starting around 50+ MPH. Got new rotors, twice. CV joints and drive shafts are fine, got them inspected. No noises from the suspension. Starting with driver size hub bearing tonight and crossing my fingers. Passenger side is next if this doesn't help. The last shop has done very good work for me in the past. A senior mechanic inspected the front end, no conclusions. They actually asked me to contact them if I figure this out. After that, I'll need a magician!
Crazy. Yeah please keep me posted!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok so I figured out the stupid vibration. And you wouldn't believe it, but it was the hub bearings, front of course, with the shaking in the steering wheel. Honestly, it happened literally overnight and there were no noises, no overheating of the hub, etc. just started to vibrate. Here is one interesting piece of information: I did have spacers on the front of the car and removed them for my winter wheels. That's when I also installed new brake rotors and got new winter tires. All of this happened at once so at first I blamed the tires, then I blamed the rotors (Chinese made - I figured maybe the hub face wasn't machined perfectly, allowing the wheel or wheels to wobble slightly), so changed the rotors again. Had the tires replaced, then one more time to summer tires, nothing helped. Like I said, no noises, no weird stuff, just vibration. I had the drive shafts examined at a shop, still nothing. So I just changed one hub bearing and it improved vastly, then the other one last night, voila! Perfectly smooth again, all the way to 160 KPH. Very strange but true. Maybe I'll just do a topic on this in the general Workshop area, seems nobody has ever ran into this and I've seen all kinds of ridiculous suggestions about strut mounts, strut bearings, etc.- nothing to do with wheel spin.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
unbelievable. Well, believable actually. Can you describe the vibration? Was it more of a shimmy? Or an actual oscillation in the steering wheel? Also what speeds?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, for me it was becoming noticeable around 50-60 MPH, the mechanic that took the car for a spin said he started feeling it at lower speeds. Either way, at 65-70 MPH it would get quite bad. I could feel it in the floor a bit, but it would transfer into the steering wheel where it would just vibrate badly. Kind of oscillation I guess, but not too much movement left or right maybe because of the speed by that point, but just felt more like vibration.

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
My ill-fitting spacers made my tires out of round. Had the same nasty vibrations at those speeds. I foolishly left them on too long like that.

At least that is my assumption after replacing the steering rack. It was still there so I moved the wheels back to front and bam almost all gone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ill-fitting spacers made my tires out of round. Had the same nasty vibrations at those speeds. I foolishly left them on too long like that.

At least that is my assumption after replacing the steering rack. It was still there so I moved the wheels back to front and bam almost all gone.
OUCH. If you still have a vibration and tried everything else, you could have ruined the hub bearing(s). Yeah, I think my spacers probably ruined the hub bearings too. The weird thing is, as long as they were on there, things seemed fine. I still don't have all the answers but the spacers aren't going back on the front (still have them on the back, seems fine there).

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Yeah tires and wheels are always the first suspect. Unfortunately I've had the same symptoms with every set of wheel/tire I've ever had (5+). Don't want to derail the pics thread so maybe we can pick up the conversation here:

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
yep it works. gonna need more pics of that electric blue vert.

Reactions: The Laminator
3921 - 3940 of 3964 Posts