SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll:Ok, I'm a 'newbie' to the site, with a 'curly' one.
I've just rescued a 2000 9.3 from being wrecked, and it has the following problem(s).
The speedo doesn't work, and the ABS and Brake warning lights stay on. All other instruments work fine. except that if I operate the 'night panel' switch, they all shut down as well.
I've change the rear ABS sensors, and I've done a DTC check which shows no ABS faults (or any others, for that matter).
The SID wasn't working: I replaced the ribbon cable and solved that problem.
Anyone got any ideas, please?:roll:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
What did you use to check for DTCs? If it was an ODB-II reader, you won't find anything for your problems. You need a Tech II. Maybe someone has been through this issue and has more specific suggestions.

The night panel is working as designed. The speedometer is the only gauge that stays working....assuming it was working beforehand. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stop panicking, everybody!! I changed the control unit on the side of the ABS Valve Body, and the gremlin has left for other pastures!

I am surprised that it didn't show any DTC's, though. Anyone got any suggestions as to why?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When the electronics in the ABS module decide to spontaneously stop working, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the speedo doesn't work. Speedo gets its reading from a rear ABS sensor. If the ABS module craps out so does speed monitoring.

This is pretty common. Be careful on selecting a replacement, there's two part numbers. Ones with TCS and ones without. I don't have the part number comparison handy.

Units can be repaired for about $200. You're better off trying to find a donor. I have 3 bad units from the scrap yard. None were any good. It's a crap shoot.

Check out BBA reman for repair pricing. They fix throttle bodies, SIDs and ABS modules. I have no personal experience with them, only read that people have used in the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The unit (off a 9.5 of the same year) I got was from the same yard that I got the car (I have obtained a few 'saves' of various marques from them so the part will cost me what I think it is worth): I should have changed it first rather than the rear sensors, but it certainly has done the trick so far. The last two Bosch groups of numbers were the same.

There might be someone here in NZ who repairs them, but I doubt that it would be anywhere near as economical as $200! I just bought a replacement antenna mast off ebay from the US for NZ$28: the cheapest price I could find here was NZ$69. I was quoted NZ$292 for the manual Ac/heater control (second hand): I've purchased the two large control knobs from the US for $39 delivered! The locals are just a tad greedy.

As for the SID, I bought a replacement ribbon connector from HK for NZ$8. The SID now works perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.