SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting up to let everyone know that i just did this to my 2001 9-3 SE because the A/C pump grenaded. The belt for this is a 6pk1805. Autozone was able to cross reference this to a 710 belt or a 71" 6 rib belt.

so ya, there ya go. remember, this is the stock short belt (no middle idler pulley, was this way from the factory for the 9-3) with the A/C compressor bypassed.

the belt will follow this diagram but it will follow the red line

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perfect fit! 10 minute job! No ac and 95 degrees.....crap. But at least the incessant screeching is gone. Now to find an ac clutch bearing ;-(

·
Registered
131 Posts
thank you sir! my belt was burned off today (i replaced it about 10k miles ago on my 01 saab 93) for it to burn off that is telling me one of the pullys had froze. I been hearing noise from my ac when it was turned on, from what i read the wheel bearing siezes up :(. Going to put the short belt on now while the ac compressor pully/wheel bearing can be taken off and replaced.

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
If you have problems finding a bearing and pulley, drop me a line. There's a great guy to do business with who sells them and will support you if you have problems while swapping.

The job is a PITA done on the car, but if it's just the bearing that's gone, you can avoid having to discharge/vac/refill the system. There are a couple threads around here on doing it.

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
If you're just doing the bypass, no. You just put on a shorter belt and the A/C sits idle.

FYI - if your compressor is good and you only have a pulley / bearing issue, it's not really good to leave the A/C unused. The seals will dry out and it will leak.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you're just doing the bypass, no. You just put on a shorter belt and the A/C sits idle.

FYI - if your compressor is good and you only have a pulley / bearing issue, it's not really good to leave the A/C unused. The seals will dry out and it will leak.
it's about to siese (which sucks because it blows ice cold) I just don't have time to remove it

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
Do the bypass, but look into the threads about replacing the bearing in the pulley. I just wrote a lot of instructions in one a few days ago. If that's all you need, it's a $20 part, $10 at the machine shop getting it pressed, and a few hours of labor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks bob, I was just going to replace the whole unit ($150) from connection at the dealer, I mean It has at least 150k on it and the does not work to good at idle

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
Stig: If you don't get cooling at idle, that could be a different A/C issue.

If you can get the compressor for $150, and do the vac/refill yourself, it's a good deal compared to the labor time for the bearing switch. Depends what you value more... cash or labor.

You should also get a new receiver/dryer if you have the system open. It might be worthwhile to put in an expansion valve if you don't know that it's been done at any point.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Let me rephrase that, it's cool @ idle It gets COLD when im driving, Threes no air in there or leaks so I'da take it up the Comp just being a lil lazy.

·
Registered
16,885 Posts
Let me rephrase that, it's cool @ idle It gets COLD when im driving, Threes no air in there or leaks so I'da take it up the Comp just being a lil lazy.
You can get a set of gauges at Autozone for $50 that will let you verify that.

Does your cooling fan come on when the A/C is on and the car is idling?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can get a set of gauges at Autozone for $50 that will let you verify that.
12-14 below ambient at idle When moving 19-22 below ambient when driving

Does your cooling fan come on when the A/C is on and the car is idling?
Yes
Anyway Compressors bypassed and that racket is gone !, Of course though it's suppose to 114degrees today... Could of sworn I lived in IL not Nevada.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for this post saved my weekend.
I used the 710 belt worked perfectly.
Now off to find a AC clutch pulley bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A/C pulley/bearing replacement

Recently the bearing went in my A/C compressors clutch. I bought a new bearing and clutch kit online. Everything in the kit matched with the parts that were removed except the bearing. The bearings removed had one thin sleeve and what seemed to be loose bearings with no grease. The new bearing from the kit has an inside diameter that matches the one on the compressor to be pressed on. but the outside diameter of the new bearing is to big to allow the pulley to be put back on. with pulley and bearing in hand it clearly will not fit. I have checked with the seller and it is definitely the one sold for my 1999 9-3 SE. Is there a newer version pulley I can buy that will fit this newer bearing?
Or anyone have same issue when replacing the old bearing? I am doing the bypass until I get this figured out but definitely want to fix my pulley issue on the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A/C pulley/bearing replacement

Recently the bearing went in my A/C compressors clutch. I bought a new bearing and clutch kit online. Everything in the kit matched with the parts that were removed except the bearing. The bearings removed had one thin sleeve and what seemed to be loose bearings with no grease. The new bearing from the kit has an inside diameter that matches the one on the compressor to be pressed on. but the outside diameter of the new bearing is to big to allow the pulley to be put back on. with pulley and bearing in hand it clearly will not fit. I have checked with the seller and it is definitely the one sold for my 1999 9-3 SE. Is there a newer version pulley I can buy that will fit this newer bearing?
Or anyone have same issue when replacing the old bearing? I am doing the bypass until I get this figured out but definitely want to fix my pulley issue on the A/C compressor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts