SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of the 93 base I now own, has a parts car. I'm not sure if it is a base or an SE (or maybe viggen?), but he is willing to let me come and get the turbo off of it. From everything I have seen, even when searching for parts, i.e AutoZone, the 2.0l SE is HOT. Meaning it has the td-04, right? Well, not according to the guy at Jim Ellis SAAB over here in Atlanta. I went there yesterday to see if I could acquire a couple m12 banjo bolts (just in the case that the parts car does have a td-04) but they don't make them anymore. I then asked about the exhaust gasket, and the parts guy was confused when I told him I am taking a td-04 to put in the base 93. He said, according to his microfiche diagrams, only the viggen has the td-04. When he said that, It completely threw me off. So, now I am wondering if he even sold me the right exhaust gasket. It is a rectangle with a rectangular opening, but I thought the last time I looked at my turbo with the heat shroud off, it was a circle.
After the trip there, I realized that I really don't need new banjo bolts because I can just take the ones that are already on the turbo and take the lines too (I am assuming the guy still has it all somewhat attached). IF the SE model does have a td-04, then I think that is what will be on the parts car. I already replaced the driver side strut with one off the parts car. When I was putting it in, I noticed the top stud going through the middle of the strut mount had a 'K' stamped on it, which I think refers to the b205r 2.0l VIN. The original strut has an 'H'.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't trust parts guys to know anything about cars that are 15 years old or so.

Base - B205L 2.0L LPT Low Pressure Turbo - Garrett GT-17
SE - B205R 2.0L HOT High Output Turbo - Mitsubishi TD-04
Viggen - B235R 2.3L HOT High Output Turbo - Mitsubishi TD-04

All engines use the same block.
SE has a bigger turbo, different intercooler, ecu tune, other cosmetic stuff.
Viggen is same as SE but has different crank, rods, pistons, different ecu tune?, cosmetic stuff.

Visual difference on the turbo can be easily seen by the way the wastegate actuator attaches to the turbo, seen here:
TD-04 on Left, GT-17 on Right.

T25 refers to the exhaust manifold flange or how the turbo mounts. They are all the same.

Each car can have different suspension codes too which are marked on a plate attached to the upper radiator support:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you were sold a metal rectangular gasket with a big round hole, 4 small holes and a raised lip around the big hole, you're good to go.

The banjo bolts and plumbing are different, but have been solved with bigger washers per Dmitry Platonoff, though not my style. His site is here and a great resource.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Viggens and SE should have a TD-04. 1999 and earlier base models will have a Garrett T25, 2000 and later base models will have the GT-17. The Picture FC Saab posted shows the difference between a TD-04 and a GT-17, here is a T-25 (top) and TD-04 (bottom)

If upgrading from a T-25 on a 1999 or earlier car you are stuck with the oversize crush washer solution or special stepped banjo bolts for the water feed line, the return line to the head can be swapped for a later one that matches the turbo (need to block an un-used port) or you can use more over-sized crush washers or stepped banjo bolts.

The oversize crush washers work fine if you can align them well. I used a bit of RTV to "glue" the inner one in place before installing the turbo, since it would be impossible to align it when connecting the water line once the turbo was installed.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
ummm, Viggen is a completely different engine. 2.3 not 2.0...
I did mention that my first post that the Viggen had the 2.3L

Only way to tell the difference between 2.0L and 2.3L is by pulling the crank, rods, pistons and measure. Block, head, etc are all the same. You can put a Viggen or 2.3L valve cover on a 2.0L engine... Chances that someone has been duped between 2000 and 2002 because of sludge? I'd say VERY high. You'd have to see the guts to know for sure. 2.3L also have sodium filled exhaust valves, but the only way to tell is by weight.

If you have a borescope, you can pull the plugs and look at the piston tops. 2.0L pistons have a dime sized dimple in the center, the 2.3L piston has a much larger piston dish.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I did mention that my first post that the Viggen had the 2.3L

Only way to tell the difference between 2.0L and 2.3L is by pulling the crank, rods, pistons and measure.
Couldn't you just drop a dowel or something down the plug hole, and measure the stroke of the piston while rotating the engine? Should be able to tell a 12mm difference pretty easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. That's the last time I'll rely on accurate information from a parts guy :roll:
As it turns out, the parts car I have access to is an SE, so I now have a td-04 with the oil & water lines as well ;ol; . He said the engine the turbo was on had a head issue. There is virtually no play in the shaft and it looks fine to me. Other than checking that, I'm not sure what else can be done to make sure it is good condition besides installing it to see how it runs. Also, I grabbed the 'cobra' pipe, but I don't think that It was necessary because I think it is the same on my 93?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.