SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headliner has become moldy and needs replacement. Got a quote for $300 for liner and $150 for labor to replace.
I am looking for the procedure to replace the headliner and a cheaper source for the liner if anyone can provide.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My headliner has become moldy and needs replacement. Got a quote for $300 for liner and $150 for labor to replace.
I am looking for the procedure to replace the headliner and a cheaper source for the liner if anyone can provide.
Replacing the headlining has it's challenges.

Most is very straight forward, a few screws, a couple plastic rivits and not much else.

The real challenge is across the top of the windscreen. Getting the plastic trim off intact borders on impossible, the plastic gets very brittle with heat and age.

1st step is to remove the top release handle, Behind the cloth fillers around each rod is a metal clip. Rotate each clip 90° and the handle will pull out. Return those clips to their original positions and when you're done, the handle simply pushes back in and locks into place.

A bunch of screws across the very front of the bow above the windscreen and a couple of plastic rivets and you're ready to try and ease the plastic trim's push in friction fasteners out of the retainers -- At least here in Florida, it's nigh on impossible to no break the trim.

As for a replacement, think the lowest price I've seen has been over $250 plus shipping, not cheap.

On my '01, I inistalled a used headliner from a NG900 vert. Completely different fabric (almost a nylon mesh). The bows are different so the 900's headlining would not pop on like the 9-3's so I used black trim screws to retain the headlining to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th bows.

On the front of the 900's headlining, I opted to use nylon wire ties to fasten the headlining, used the screw holes already in the headlining and looped the wire ties to the hooks used for the 9-3 headlining.

Under $35 for the job and a couple hours in the drive way. I posted some before/after pics here a while back. Not a perfect solution, but it worked well for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9-3 SE Convertible Headliner Removal. 1999

Does anyone know how to remove the headliner around the rear window for the convertible? The other areas seem straightforward but I am unsure about the rear window.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Wow, just noticed your questions -- sorry 'bout that.

The headlining came from a u-pull-it breakers yard. Very inexpensive. NG900s show up in yards infrequently, I was lucky but not amazingly so.

If I recall correctly, I had to pretty much free up the rest of the headlining from the top before getting to the back window. The clips that retain the window to the top are used to contain the perimeter of the opening. Just ease the opening's plastic form out from under each clip.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've been starting to look around for headliners too. 9-3 verts seem to be few and far between in the yards around here. :(

$259 for the headliner is more than a little pricey, but the rubber layer in mine is coming out and staining the interior. :(

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Honestly, as bad as the 9-3 vert headlining can get, it looks better without one than with a nasty, drooping, stained one.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I've been starting to look around for headliners too. 9-3 verts seem to be few and far between in the yards around here. :(

$259 for the headliner is more than a little pricey, but the rubber layer in mine is coming out and staining the interior. :(
It's been a while since I looked, but I thought there was a company on Ebay with prices around $100 (and made of cloth, instead of that horrible synthetic foam they use in the 9-3.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have another possible solution.. as the current healining is considerd scrap at the moment, you could try taking it out and putting in in a washing machine.. I've done this a few times with filthy seat covers and they nave normally come up like new, and I can't see why the headliver form a convertible should be any differant, and you have nothing to loose!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's not dirty.

The headliner is made of two pieces of material, sewn around the edges. In between those two pieces of material is a black rubbery sticky gooey substance.

The seam at the rear passenger corner of the headliner is gone. And the material won't take being resewn. Too deteriorated. And that black crap is getting everywhere. And it's sticky and doesn't clean up easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts