SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the rear brake pads? I had a heck of a time getting the caliper piston screwed back in to allow the new pads to fit in? After I got new pads installed, I lost brake pedal, have to pump the brake pedal to get any brakes, is there a adjustment to make? Hand brake works good does hold vehicle when in gear and @ idle. I'm afraid I may have to replace the rear calipers, any suggestions? And no I did not open any brake lines or bleeders, in case someone asks.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central , Dozeman.

I imagine the 9-3 takes the same rear brakes as the 900 new generation..
This topic should be in the 9-3 new generation section..
The 900 oldie, going back 30 years ago had the hand brake incorporated with the hydraulics.
The piston had to be turned back using a special tool - which I had to make..
That was then, now the "emergency" mechanical brake is independent, but it does use the inside surface of the rotor for its shoes..
http://www.geocities.com/ng900set/BrakesR/rear_rotor.html?20071
Courtesy of PMI.

So, maybe the piston was not pushed back properly ( has to be done slowly and carefully).. And before that is done ,all possible grit and rust must be cleaned away...And the caliper machined surfaces must be prepped..and the rotor must be clean...
Maybe the bleeder should have been opened to avert trouble...I cannot remember ever having any difficulty in this area with Saab or VW, or Honda...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I just posted in the 9.3 sports sedan section.
from the link you had posted the calipers pictured are different from what is on mine. But will try to bleed out the air in the system, my gut feeling there is air in it. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts