SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 9-3 SE, 2.0t with 5 speed. Driveing down the road (twice) my son slowed down (for slowing traffic and to turn onto the intersate) and the car died. Tried re-starting, and the car would crank but not catch and sart.. Fisrt time, I picked him up and we came back to it a few hours later. It started up and we drove it home. TB was tripped and in limp home mode. Disconnected battery and reset TB. A week later, it happened again. Same thing. Would not start. This time, i disconnected the neg. battery terminal, waited 5 mins or so, and it restarted. TB wasn't in limp mode this time. Since then (2 weeks ago) it's gone into limp mode (as it's done before). I changed the CPS last year hoping that was the culprit as it did this similar thing. I just read on another post that somone mentioned the Cam Sensor position. Can anyone shed some light on that? Where I might find it? Digging here as I try to keep it going. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The cam position sensor is the generic term used in the code for a DIC error, since you don't have a distributor that would actually contain the cam position sensor. Do you have CEL on? Does the car just cut out like someone cut the electric or does it splutter and die?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just cuts out and quits like you pulled the cord on it. If i take it to autozone to read the codes onit now, it'll read throttle body since thats already been tripped. i think it's tiem to send it to CARMAX and take what i can get for it! Thanks.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Just cuts out and quits like you pulled the cord on it. If i take it to autozone to read the codes onit now, it'll read throttle body since thats already been tripped. i think it's tiem to send it to CARMAX and take what i can get for it! Thanks.
You're going to dump the car because it needs a little diagnostic work?

If you broke a finger would you cut off your arm?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the CPS last year.... It's been nearly a year and a half of dealing with this car. Love the car, but theres a gremlin under the hood thats just driving me crazy, and no one seems to really have a good answer to what it may be. I'm just finally at the one last ditch effort thinking maybe I'll find it this time. Otherwise it's a great looking and driving little car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would check all the connections between the battery and alternator and major ground points, it could also be the ignition switch.
+1

I've fixed numerous 'gremlins' by fixing a simple ground connection.

Seriously. Sometimes they vibrate loose a little bit and one little vibration is enough to knock the ground off the circuit which causes some component to fail, which can cause everything to fail.

Actually, my brother's Acura had a very similar problem recently. Turned out to be a loose ground wire attached to the frame in the engine compartment. Sure enough, with the car running, I could make it quit just by wiggling that wire a little bit. Cleaned it up, re-torqued it, and he hasn't had a problem since.

I'm not saying this is the case, but it's definitely a free and easy thing to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts