SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Saab 9-3. The moonroof often gets stuck in the vent position. This has been an on-and-off issue since I got the car. If the moonroof is in the vent position and you try to close it while driving down the road, it almost always closed. If you try to close it while sitting still, it will act like it's going to close and then pop right back open.

I've had two different dealers tell me two different things. The dealer I bought the car from told me that the moonroof lost its calibration, and that's why it won't close all the time. A different dealer said that some of the brackets were broken, and they replaced them when the car was in for an oil change.

Does anybody else have this issue? Is here anything I can do to fix it?

·
Registered
467 Posts
awesome thread.. i had to leave my roof in vent last night because it didnt want to close. i was naturally pissed about it. i read this thread before i went to bed. i figured i'd try it when i woke up but when i hit the switch normally, it closed. so i tried all positions and it works fine againg, without trying this trick. hopefully it doesnt happen again but if it does, i'll be sure to try this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a common fault in the anti-pinch circuit/safety switch, or whatever it is....

On the drivers door, depress, and hold the window lock button, and then close the roof from the vent position. It should close. My 06 SC does this too. Annoying, but it isn't constant.
This just fixed my issue. You are a genius. Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
This happens with mine on occassion. It's more of a problem on the driver side window. The pinch protection is all screwed up. I had the dealer use the tech2 to have the car re-learn pinch protection. That lasted about 6 months, just had to do it again (and cost me 1/2hr of labor) at an indy.

I want to just do away with pinch protection. :x

Then warn everyone who comes into my car that my windows will eat your fingers or head. :evil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
This thread was really usefull .

Due to my sunroof "protection" (the thing which is below it , aka "sunshade" from epc , my sun window would not close due to the pinch protection and really did not want to tear down the whole interior to clean it down.

Keeping the button pressed solved the issue !

way to go there tnkr111 !!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
These moonroofs have been very good, but as they age, get dirty, a little help may be required. A rag and some PB Blaster can clean and lube the slides on each side. And keep that "hold the window lock button down" in mind.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It is a common fault in the anti-pinch circuit/safety switch, or whatever it is....

On the drivers door, depress, and hold the window lock button, and then close the roof from the vent position. It should close. My 06 SC does this too. Annoying, but it isn't constant.
I love this site! :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
If this happens and you need to close it quickly and the anti-pinch is acting up I have found that you can "help" it close buy pushing/putting pressure on it when closing. Then you can reprogram it later when it's not pouring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
9-3 sunroof stuck on vent

My wife's '08 9-3 sunroof was stuck open in vent mode, don't even know when it got opened. Anyway, the window lock button trick worked! Thank you.

Scott

·
Registered
814 Posts
Clean the tracks with WD 40, than spray with silicone spray.
Had that happen when I picked up my car from dealer, used the pinch off switch until I cleaned everything off.
Had tree sap also causing sticking, used Purell to remove it and alcohol wipes than silicone spray.
All is now well with moon roof.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Saab Central is one of the best parts of buying a Saab. I learn what I need to know and save hours of headaches and hundreds of dollars. And I get to keep enjoying my car. I think I'm going to buy another one for my wife. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I knew all of the tricks, but this windows lock switch suggestion just saved my butt. 2003 9-3 Arc 2.0T 6 speed, leased new and then bought out. It's 31 F outside tonight and I was just running the car for a bit to keep the battery up to snuff. Hit the sunroof vent switch rather than the interior light, and the sunroof would not go down. Tried applying some light pressure from the outside but it didn't help. Pressing the window lock switch did the trick, and of course I had to pop up the sunroof two more times just for fun. Sometimes it took two attempts with the window lock switch for the sunroof to go down, but it eventually always worked. I thought I was going to have to wedge a towel in there and revisit it during the day. Yes the tracks probably need to be cleaned and lubed. The car only has 37,000 miles on it, but it is 15 years old. Just had a window regulator go out on my around a month ago for the passenger side front window, after all these years. I pretty much only ever raised and lowered the driver's side front window over the years.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Definitely worked thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you so much. Genius

·
Registered
1 Posts

Really helped..much thank you

·
Registered
783 Posts
Gotta love the button thanx Trollhattan. Somebody said window regulator. Doesn't hurt to grease or Blast (or both) these wires and spools when ya see em esp in coastal salt aireas.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just another note. The plastic clips on the side, that hold the little spoiler rail snap off very easily. This might also cause an issue where the roof wont close. If that's the case, You can take out the rail it's self and hold the front spoiler or whatever it is, until the glass slides in.

You can get the new clips for like $14 from esaabparts. I just replaced mine recently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts