SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Aero that just recently incurred a persistent knocking. The knock only happens at idle in neutral and goes away if the clutch is pushed in.

Sometimes if i pump the clutch a few times the knock will decrease and almost completely go away.

The only change i've made recently was an oil change which im wondering might have stuck a lifter or something internal.

I used Schaeffer's synthetic supreme 9000 oil over mobil one after a personal recommendation. But i noticed it was 5w-30 compared to the recommended mobil one 0w40. Would this be a factor for the knocking?

I've ran injector cleaner through the gasoline as well to no result.

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Sounds like a clutch issue since it goes away when you push the clutch. Better that than rod knock.
Probably not due to the oil weight change....yet. I would just stick with Mobil 0-40.

·
Registered
132 Posts
^As aspen stated, it doesn't sound like it is anything related with engine internals. You stated the noise goes away when you press the clutch... if it was an internal engine problem it wouldn't matter whether or not the clutch pedal was depressed. Think about it ;)

Definitely sound's like it is clutch related.

5w-30 should be fine p.s. Of course do what the owners manual states, but 5w-30 isn't going to kill your car. It just doesn't have the film thickness when hot as the 0w-40, which will provide better protection than 5w-30. You can also run 5w-40 without an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts