SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Soon I will need to replace my HVAC heater hoses. I've got a very very small leak thats on/off - so I know I'll need to action it soon.
I replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, and most other hoses about a year ago, and I haven't done many miles since.
At the time I was going to replace the heater hoses - but the versions in my silicone kit didn't match - so I left that part unsolved.
They don't seem to show up often in part catalogs, but 9-5 versions appear to be easier to research.
eg: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/12083/Heater-Bypass-Valve-Assembly-5048830/
So my question is this:
For the 9-3 versions that seem to have this fitted - do they really use a 9-5 part or do they customize it by adding the component parts?
The current 9-5 version is approx $400 so its a bit steep to buy - just to see if it fits etc.
I welcome advice.

I've got a 9-3 Aero, auto - 2000, with the B205R. - You can see some hoses in my engine photos here - including the HVAC valve.
https://www.saabcentral.com/showcase/morts-2000-saab-9-3-aero-hatch-5d-auto.14753/

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I'm not sure what you're planning to do. I can tell you that heater hoses for a 9-5 did not fit an NG900, and the NG900 arrangement seems to be the same as the OG9-3. Therefore some parts of that 9-5 kit may work for your 9-3, but the whole assembly won't. The difference is obviously in the hoses, not in the diverter valve.

Your simplest approach might be to replace the heater bypass valve with a regular set of heater hoses for 900/9-3 cars.

If the slow leak is in the bypass valve, replace only that. But at the same time check the heater hoses, especially at the bend where the one comes out of the side of the head over the transmission and then makes a right angle turn. The hose tends to burst there--not leak--so one moment you're fine, next moment FILL COOLANT FLUID.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you're planning to do. I can tell you that heater hoses for a 9-5 did not fit an NG900, and the NG900 arrangement seems to be the same as the OG9-3. Therefore some parts of that 9-5 kit may work for your 9-3, but the whole assembly won't. The difference is obviously in the hoses, not in the diverter valve.

Your simplest approach might be to replace the heater bypass valve with a regular set of heater hoses for 900/9-3 cars.

If the slow leak is in the bypass valve, replace only that. But at the same time check the heater hoses, especially at the bend where the one comes out of the side of the head over the transmission and then makes a right angle turn. The hose tends to burst there--not leak--so one moment you're fine, next moment FILL COOLANT FLUID.
Thanks EdT. I forgot to mention that I have the ACC set-up as well. It's possible the HVAC set up is the 'Tropical Hose kit' (14 I think in the standard parts diagram) - Given the car was designed for the Aust/NZ market. I think the main hose I need to replace is the Y shaped one that appears to go to the Heater return and link in with the bypass. I know those hoses are available.
Its almost at the 100k mile mark so I'll know I need to action it soon - if it is the original set-up for that section.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
In case you're still looking, I have to say that eEuro (and myself) are basically LHD car people, so parts differences for RHD cars are possible, e.g. a different location for a RHD 9-3 heater core. (The 9-5 hoses wouldn't reach my 900's heater core spigots; the heater core is quite far over on the passenger/right side. I think the 9-5 has a pretty central heater core. What happens on a RHD 9-3 I don't know.)

Doesn't look like Mackay has any hoses for you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case you're still looking, I have to say that eEuro (and myself) are basically LHD car people, so parts differences for RHD cars are possible, e.g. a different location for a RHD 9-3 heater core. (The 9-5 hoses wouldn't reach my 900's heater core spigots; the heater core is quite far over on the passenger/right side. I think the 9-5 has a pretty central heater core. What happens on a RHD 9-3 I don't know.)

Doesn't look like Mackay has any hoses for you.
Thanks EdT.
Yes I know Eeuro is mostly LHD related. The 9-3 heater hoses are different for LHD and RHD versions. I order most of my hoses from the UK - which is also RHD if I cant find local versions in NZ or Aust. The Do88 hose kit for example - only comes with the LHD heater hoses. You have to order the RHD version in addition - as most of the other coolant hoses are the same. There are local suppliers here - but sometimes I question the quality or versioning eg Pro-Parts. I have time to solve this - as I dont do many miles - as I don't use my car every day. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,855 Posts
Not sure if this is clear to you at this point, but "tropical" means you have the bypass valve in an OG9-3. The 9-5's all have it AFAIK but it's much rarer on the OG9-3. If you can get the tropical hose kit to match your RHD you're good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts