SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a bit dumb for asking this clarification but he goes. I know what Gross and net means but in my 1999 Saab owners manual it states that the weight of my convert with full gas tank, spare tire etc is 3200 lbs. and then further down it states that the Gross weight is 3920 lbs. which is 720 lbs higher. Is the Gross calculated with the weight of 4 passengers each weighing 180 lbs?

But then in my 2000 9-5 Aero manual it states the weight as 3470lbs and Gross 4480 lbs. In this case for the 9-5 if the Gross weight is calculated by adding 5 passengers, then they calculated the weight of each passenger to be 202lbs.
Do they assume that larger people drive 9-5?

(Ooops forgot the e in my title)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You stupid fool that's so obvious:x...

Actually, you raise a good point. I have no idea what that's all about.:confused:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I feel a bit dumb for asking this clarification but here goes. I know what both Gross and net mean, but in my 1999 Saab owners manual it states that the weight of my convert with full gas tank, spare tire etc is 3200 lbs. and then further down it states that the Gross weight is 3920 lbs., which is 720 lbs higher. Is the Gross weight calculated with the weight of 4 passengers each weighing 180 lbs? seems like a very logical conclusion

But then in my 2000 9-5 Aero manual it states the weight as 3470lbs and Gross 4480 lbs. In this case for the 9-5 if the Gross weight is calculated by adding 5 passengers, then they calculated the weight of each passenger to be 202lbs. that's the auto industry or you...
Do they assume that larger people drive 9-5? maybe for the N. American version.

(Ooops forgot the 'e' in my title an 's' as well)
Hmm... I may have gotten a bit carried away there with my 'red pen'.;oops:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That number should be identified as "GWVR" = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It means that your car can safely be loaded with passengers and equipment to a total weight of 3,920lbs.

The 9-5 has a higher GVWR because of a more robust suspension, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Now, how would anyone without inside ties to Saab know where the details for their marketing brochure came from? Don't forget that most marketing brochures contain exaggerations anyway. So, why so we even believe them?... Ron

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It seems that nobody knows for sure. But then who cares - right?
Um, I wasn't guessing in my post above... anyone can type GVWR into google and verify that...
Now, how would anyone without inside ties to Saab know where the details for their marketing brochure came from? Don't forget that most marketing brochures contain exaggerations anyway. So, why so we even believe them?... Ron
It's stamped on the build plate in your drivers' door jamb. It's a mandated spec, not a marketing tidbit.

And trust me, they want their asses covered if someone loads 1,500lbs of crap in their car and then tries to get their broken suspension replaced under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts