SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to search it out and find a post I saw that had some pretty heavy duty and I think they might have been adjustable sway bar end links for the front.

I replaced my stock OEM ones about 7 months ago with some MOOG ones which are a lifetime warranty but I had to swap them out again yesterday due to moan, groan, creek and clunking. Not having a grease fitting I am sure kills these off even quicker.

While I am going to be ok for right now I think I want to get something better that will last longer.

Who is using something better than the MOOG parts?

Swedespeed referred me to Meyle HD which might be a great choice, I don't know...they don't have any zerk fittings either though.

I supposed I could have put my own in as well too.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
With these being so cheap and easy to replace just get whatever is available.
I never had an issue with the oem replacements failing. Are the genuine Saab oems still available?

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With these being so cheap and easy to replace just get whatever is available.
I never had an issue with the oem replacements failing. Are the genuine Saab oems still available?
Not sure if the OEM are or not to be honest, I went with MOOG as I have always had great luck with them and they always seemed to have zerk fittings, but not with these.

Oddly, my brother inlaws Saturn Aura uses pretty much the same bar and we had to do his, bought MOOG and his had fittings! Go figure.

I know they are easy to change, but I don't want to keep changing them if there is a better option out there I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powergrid makes an adjustable end link for the 9440 chassis. Don't think they have zerk fittings though.
I ran across those as well, didn't see the fitting either but maybe they are a better quality. I will bookmark it for the future. Thank you

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
powergrids can be adjusted for height, to compensate for differences in sway bars which can be not equal height. Or to preload for handling in particular situations.

Powergrids are made with an all weather encapsulated spherical joint. as such, Chip Minich makes them adjustable as the joints are threaded and many folks use them for racing applications.

In racing typically open spherical joints are used and replaced often in service. For the street open joints wear out fast, and rattle which is annoying

Powergrids last for ever.

Moogs last hardly at all. my experience

Myle last less than the OEM in my experience

whats on my car? lol

while on the subject here are rear links. On photo left is the 9.5 rear stock. The direct replacement from Meyle is on photo right.

it does not fit. ugh. I lubed the old one, and put it (the stock one ) back its fine for now. I will find a suitable replacement at some point. The car needs more rear bar for sure and this link is pathetic.

this is a typical SAAB end link and the failure: the boot tears ( Meyle shown)

this is a typical Moog end link see how the seal is not 'sealed" and can be lifted easily

Powergrid joint. You get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Any updates on this Capri? I think I need to replace my front sway links again and I'm super lowered and may want to go Powergrid.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I have been using the updated version of the Moog's all has been well, no clunking or anything lately. If I didn't have lifetime warranties on them I might had gone to Powergrid but since they are not hard to change and warrantied Ill probably just change them out again if they go bad, but knock on wood they seem much better with this newer version.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
March 2017 Powergrids still perfect. New struts, control arms, tie rods ( tie rods are still good but the eEuro package included them) going on this month. Struts are not blown at 208,000 km but its time.

I did replace one rear shock with a Monroe six months ago, so this time around I have new shock kits from eEuro with bumpers bellows and new brackets. I chose to go Sachs Boge original rather than Bilstein and I am not changing the springs. Ride height is within reason and I cant find OEM springs, Fronts that is. Rears I could find. But if its an issue down the road then fine I can revisit, and in the meantime I will keep looking.

I ran into a start/stall start/stall start/stayed running when I came out of the gym the other day. I have a new DIC if needed, but I wonder if the car is just grumpy with me. I only put on 150 km on the clock the past six weeks. Sits in the garage and I drive the Avalanche.

Avalanches are potential rust buckets, so I do oiling every fall and the applicator guys are very thorough. I oil the SAAB but only underneath.

Gosh I detest the brine and salt they use on the roads. I wonder whats happening to the water table around here with all the crap the put on the roads.....

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Since I have been using the updated version of the Moog's all has been well, no clunking or anything lately. If I didn't have lifetime warranties on them I might had gone to Powergrid but since they are not hard to change and warrantied Ill probably just change them out again if they go bad, but knock on wood they seem much better with this newer version.
Do you have a part number for the updated version?

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
I actually just ordered the 250mm sport suspension sway bar links for the Chevy Cobalt SS. A few inches shorter than SAAB stock links. Hopefully this will solve premature link failure with my coilover setup. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
FYI for anyone coming across this, moog parts nowadays are nothing like they were in the early/mid 2000's. Super hit or miss with quality now
I feel like that's the case with pretty much any brand of part sold at AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. Made in China or Mexico, which isn't always a bad thing, but certainly affects consistency somehow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I feel like that's the case with pretty much any brand of part sold at AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. Made in China or Mexico, which isn't always a bad thing, but certainly affects consistency somehow.

The only exception I have found, and this is only across like 4-5 vehicles so not a huge sample size, is NAPA. Even made in china, they seem to hold up better.

That being said, if it's a euro car I generally go with lemforder when possible.

·
Registered
996TT, 997TT, Audi TT, Corrado and some that dont run
339 Posts
The Powergrid IKO ends while work well, cannot effectively take the radial loading. Some FK SS rod ends work the best for handling as they last longer with salt/rain conditions as well as can take 15,000-27,000lbs of load.

The IKO's make even more noise and tend to get a little more play in the suspension in my experience, thus why only running stock or heims.

The threaded rods on the front swaybars also are prone to loosening up from the twisting and steering forces. Some Loctite and anti-vibration paste helps mitigate it, but I have had them loosen up more than once.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
The Powergrid IKO ends while work well, cannot effectively take the radial loading. Some FK SS rod ends work the best for handling as they last longer with salt/rain conditions as well as can take 15,000-27,000lbs of load.

The IKO's make even more noise and tend to get a little more play in the suspension in my experience, thus why only running stock or heims.

The threaded rods on the front swaybars also are prone to loosening up from the twisting and steering forces. Some Loctite and anti-vibration paste helps mitigate it, but I have had them loosen up more than once.
Hmm that's good to know.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts