SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is durability and strength of 9-3ss's engine the same as the other models, like 900, 9000 and 9-5?
2. Was it made from Al-Alloy....not Iron case? And did Saab engineers develop it themselve or GM?
I like feeling when I tested drive but I'm not sure in long term using.
Thank you

·
Registered
286 Posts
I m not an expert but here are the things I know.

Engine block: All aluminum, originally an Opel Ecotec 2.2 Liters. Bored by Saab to a less 2.0 L for more metal to withstand the turbo better.

Cylinder heads: All Saab made and designed, aluminum.

Software: In-house Saab Trionic.

How it feels to me? : I ve done around 5000 miles with my Aero in 7 weeks. Never felt a need to go over 3500rpms and honestly, I dont even need to. I think the engine should last very long with its low rev-high power characteristic. It never feels like its under much strain, it is very refined.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The engine is designed by Lotus for GM it is named L850. Of that design surged the 2.2 Ecotec.

Saab developed the last evolution, All aluminium and 2liters with turbo.

greetings

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
And the valvetrain, pistons, rods, crank, etc. were all designed by Saab with the help of Opel in Germany and GM I believe.

Should be a very durable engine overall.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
stryker said:
How it feels to me? : I ve done around 5000 miles with my Aero in 7 weeks. Never felt a need to go over 3500rpms and honestly, I dont even need to. I think the engine should last very long with its low rev-high power characteristic. It never feels like its under much strain, it is very refined.
Tell me about it. It's almost like going over 4000 rpms is a waste... all the power is down so low!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts