Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I need to replace the ECU in my wife's 2003 9-3 sedan. She
was driving down the freeway and the car lost power and she crawled
home. Just briefly, I will say that it doesn't matter if the car is on fire,
she will get where she wants to go, no matter how many stops she has
to make even if it's the gas station.
That said, I take a look at the and read the three codes.

P0137
P0606
P0638

Perhaps the P037 is a red herring due to the other codes and that
the 02 reading is off due to the other codes.
The question is, did the ECU fail from the throttle servo having
a fault? Or, is the code for the throttle being generated due to a
failure in the ECU?

The part number on the ECU is 55352571 but I don't see that number
too much doing a Google search and I see other numbers for the ECU
for my year 9-3. Is my unit an aftermarket part? What is the correct
part number for my car?
The part does not have a brand name on it that I can see, though I
would assume that a Bosch part came as OEM?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have doubts that the ECU is at fault here. Sounds like the car threw a throttle actuator control code (p0638) and went into limp mode. If the p0137 code is the first one on the list in your code reader that means it was the first code to trigger, I doubt it has anything to do with the car losing power. The p0606 is the wild card here, that one is odd. Is the car tuned? BSR, Vtuner etc?

I would start by verifying all connections to the throttle body, be sure the throttle butterfly is not full of carbon and clean it out if needed. Be sure your battery is good and that the alternator is charging.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...The battery seems fine as does the alternator but I'll check the
voltage just the same. I did at least look at the ECU ground and it looked
fine and it was quite tight when I took it apart. The car doesn't have any
special tuning, just plain old stock equipment and doesn't look like it's been
tampered with other than what might possibly be a non original ECU but I
haven't actually confirmed that one. I like the idea about the carbon and
it'll be the next thing I check.
One thing though. The CEL came on and it started running rough while
sitting with the car at idle and foot off the gas pedal. Oddly, it was at
the same instant that I unplugged my code reader. Another time, I re-
moved the negative cable (while engine off), after the car was running
rough and it then ran fine. I drove it for twenty minutes, parked it, shut
it down and went to start it ten minutes later and it started in the de-
graded mode (rough, no power, no acceleration), then no start until
I removed the negative cable again. Now, I can't seem to be able to
clear any codes with the code reader but rather, only by pulling the
negative cable. They used to clear with the reader...
As you mentioned, the O2 sensor code was first in one series but only
showed that one time. Now just seems to throw the P0606 and P838.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I know this is an old thread, but did you ever fuigure out the problem? I have the exact same codes a d symptoms.. to the "t"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the slow response...anyhow, I was advised by a local shop that it was most likely the computer. They said it would work to pick up a used unit off ebay whick I did. Thing is, they advised, the unit must be from the same year , model, engine and transmission. I might have paid seventy dollars for it...I had the independent shop mate it up and "marry" it to the car using their software along with an update. All went well andwas happy with the results. The shop charged $120 to do the work. Note that they did say initially, that it might be fixed be simply doing the software update but if that didn't do the trick, I would have to pay for software charge twice by the time a new ecu was installed. I found it strange that the manufacturer bolted this seemingly sensitive unit on top of the exhaust manifold. Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I had a forum member copy the immo and vin / software for me onto a replacement. should have it this week

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same problem

Sorry for the slow response...anyhow, I was advised by a local shop that it was most likely the computer. They said it would work to pick up a used unit off ebay whick I did. Thing is, they advised, the unit must be from the same year , model, engine and transmission. I might have paid seventy dollars for it...I had the independent shop mate it up and "marry" it to the car using their software along with an update. All went well andwas happy with the results. The shop charged $120 to do the work. Note that they did say initially, that it might be fixed be simply doing the software update but if that didn't do the trick, I would have to pay for software charge twice by the time a new ecu was installed. I found it strange that the manufacturer bolted this seemingly sensitive unit on top of the exhaust manifold. Best of luck.
I have been experiencing the exact same problem and I just sent my computer in to be repaired and they found no problems with it..... Hmmmm I wonder if I need the software up-date or have a buildup of carbon or something like that as well I had the P0606 Code and the Throttle actuator codes as well the P0606 being First in the line up, but Previously to the P0606 Code my Car threw the Throttle Actuator code and by clearing it I had no troubles for over a month So now what to do????

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just wish to add to this thread with what I found in the WIS:

The P0606 code IS ECU RELATED. It says there is a communication fault within the internal electronics of the ECU itself. Which is why a replacement ECU fixed the other guys issue.

I would also say the other codes happened due to the P0606 code because a limp home mode might cause the throttle actuator code to be thrown as it isn't functioning normally.

Also, as krazykat mentioned, the part number for the ECU should not matter, so long as the software on the ECU matches the same exact year and engine and transmission as the car you are putting the ECU into. I feel like ECUs are a "maintenance" item on these cars. Mines bolted to the intake though, not exhaust, still gets really hot there. I may move it and extend the wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found my P0606 Problem

So after much frustration and shopping for the least expensive way to solve the ECM issue I did the following
1. found a shop which repairs ECM's
2. Sent them my ECM
3. They sent it back and Refunded my payment to them and stated that there was no fault found and sent the ECM Back
4. Pulled hair a lot then remembered after finding that the battery had died in all of this process and re charging it up, I had to disconnect the battery from the car just to get it to charge (weird never had to do that before) so I started thinking something was wrong with my charger because I had done a load test on the battery just days before it died????
5. so after charging and verifying that it had in fact over 12 volts I hooked it up and....... you guessed it nothing So I thought I might have a direct short so I took my trusty ohm meter out and pow direct short or so I thought, it turns out that the positive wire was touching the car body.
so that wasn't it Darn it, So I charged it up again now suspicious my charger wasn't working (wrong again I shouldn't second guess my snap on battery charger) I found a Dead Cell in my battery by taking it to Wally World and having them test it.
All this trouble because the ECM Doesn't like low batteries and it had to limp me home with two trouble codes (and my scan tool in hand to reset the codes as fast as they would show up) ECM and the throttle actuator in that order and I never even knew my Battery had a problem as my car would just start right up and then the codes would start and go straight into limp mode and reset (wash , rinse, lather and repeat.)
6. so I installed the new battery and picked up my mess after reinstalling my ECM placing the Saab Turbo Trim piece back where it belonged started the car and now it runs like it just had a tune up go figure, (We will see how long it lasts this time fingers crossed) ;ol;
P.S. I did notice my starter had lagged the last two times I had tried to start my car prior to replacement of the battery.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Glad you got it sorted however inconvenient it was.;ol;

Another case of a 9-3 trademark:

I'm not saying it's the battery...but it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts