SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the New York State Thruway in my '01 9-3, and the car sort of lurched a little bit, seemed to lose some power really quick, and the check engine light came on. Shortly after that, the 'TCS OFF' light came on, but it was still driving fine. I got off at the next exit, and as soon as I slowed down, I lost power steering, and the battery light and the oil pressure lights came on.

I got towed to the shop, but they are closed until Monday. Anyone out there know what could have caused this? There was no smoke at all, and no burning smell either, so I don't think it was a sludge issue. The turbo also seemed to still be working after the CE light came on. I am thinking maybe a belt snapped? I really am not sure though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
What did you see after you opened the hood ?

I suspect the DIC(direct ignition cassette) - these are failure prone at 100K, 7 years... or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt see anything that looked out of the ordinary. What should I have been looking for the see the DIC? The car only has ~78K, it is almost 7 years old though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
vansamirin said:
I didnt see anything that looked out of the ordinary.No snapped belt then, this would be obvious.
A burn smell, you would notice.. What should I have been looking for the see the DIC? Another "burning of electronics smell".... the car only has ~78K, it is almost 7 years old though
The CEL glowed for a reason.
The engine must have stalled when the alternator and PS stopped..

These DICs were covered by warranty - at one time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Serpentine belt is where I would look first. The DIC? I dont know about that one. They go all at once most of the time and do not generate a CEL when they do go. Only for misfires and the like will they generate a CEL.

Your oil pressure light scares me a little though, you should'nt get a oil pressure light if your belt goes. You will get a batt light and lose your Pwr steering.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kpa2004 said:
Serpentine belt is where I would look first. The DIC? I dont know about that one. They go all at once most of the time and do not generate a CEL when they do go. Only for misfires and the like will they generate a CEL.

Your oil pressure light scares me a little though, you should'nt get a oil pressure light if your belt goes. You will get a batt light and lose your Pwr steering.

The oil light worries me too, would something like and engine seal cause that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
The oil light worries me too, would something like and engine seal cause that?

Yes an engine oil seal will cause that, however that is very hard to miss. You would have been losing oil fast for it to all of the sudden just come on.It would be all over the place.

Was your oil full prior to driving it that day? Are you sure it was your oil light?

Or somehow a bolt in the engine by tha pan flew off and rifled through your oil pan draining as you drove? Were there any noises associated with the car "lurching"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
vansamirin said:
I was on the New York State Thruway in my '01 9-3, and the car sort of lurched a little bit, seemed to lose some power really quick, and the check engine light came on. Shortly after that, the 'TCS OFF' light came on, but it was still driving fine. I got off at the next exit, and as soon as I slowed down, I lost power steering, and the battery light and the oil pressure lights came on.
The check engine light along with the TCS off makes me think TPS or Throttle Position Sensor (I read a thread on that yesterday but can't seem to find it. It was probably on another forum).

The TPS is integrated in the TB (Throttle Body) on T7 equiped cars like yours.

You say the car lurched a little bit and lost power. Probably went in limp mode???? Do you have an automatic transmission?

Typically with throttle bodies the car dies when coming to a stop that would explain the loss of the power steering along with the battery & oil lights coming on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hkayssi said:
The check engine light along with the TCS off makes me think TPS or Throttle Position Sensor (I read a thread on that yesterday but can't seem to find it. It was probably on another forum).

The TPS is integrated in the TB (Throttle Body) on T7 equiped cars like yours.

You say the car lurched a little bit and lost power. Probably went in limp mode???? Do you have an automatic transmission?

Typically with throttle bodies the car dies when coming to a stop that would explain the loss of the power steering along with the battery & oil lights coming on.
How expensive are those to get replaced? I do have an auto transmission as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
vansamirin said:
How expensive are those to get replaced? I do have an auto transmission as well
Wait a second! Don't jump to conclusions just yet. I'm not saying it's to be replaced mind you, it may be dirty and in need of cleaning. I'm not even sure that's your problem.

The only way is to scan for the code it's throwing; that would tell you what went wrong.

If it's the TB, you'll be able to restart the car and it'll be in limp mode (like driving in third gear). The Check Engine would still light up as well. You can reset the TB though and you should be back to normal. You need to know what caused the problem or it'll happen again.

Now to anwer your question. A brand new TB is over $400 but you can buy it rebuilt for less than half that.

A TB starts to go finniky at around 70K for some odd reason on some cars.
From there on, it goes worse and worse.

Don't buy the parts. Please test the TB first to see if that's the cause of your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
I suspect that the oil light came on after the engine stalled completely in which case this would be normal. The key was on but the engine stalled so there would be no oil pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hkayssi said:
Wait a second! Don't jump to conclusions just yet. I'm not saying it's to be replaced mind you, it may be dirty and in need of cleaning. I'm not even sure that's your problem.

The only way is to scan for the code it's throwing; that would tell you what went wrong.

If it's the TB, you'll be able to restart the car and it'll be in limp mode (like driving in third gear). The Check Engine would still light up as well. You can reset the TB though and you should be back to normal. You need to know what caused the problem or it'll happen again.

Now to anwer your question. A brand new TB is over $400 but you can buy it rebuilt for less than half that.

A TB starts to go finniky at around 70K for some odd reason on some cars.
From there on, it goes worse and worse.

Don't buy the parts. Please test the TB first to see if that's the cause of your problem.
I'm going to get the code read on Monday, when the garage is open. Thanks for the help though, I wasnt sure if my whole engine was done or something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got off the phone with the shop, its was the Throttle Body that died.

Im getting the TB replaced, and an oil change, for $720 USD

Thanks for all your help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
vansamirin said:
I just got off the phone with the shop, its was the Throttle Body that died.

Im getting the TB replaced, and an oil change, for $720 USD

Thanks for all your help!!

:eek: $720.00 :eek: Wow. I just changed mine for $199 and did an oil change for $15. Ask them if you can supply your own TB. You can get one from BBA for $199. That will save you at least $250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frank_Drebin said:
:eek: $720.00 :eek: Wow. I just changed mine for $199 and did an oil change for $15. Ask them if you can supply your own TB. You can get one from BBA for $199. That will save you at least $250.
I dont think I can even get the oil for $15. Are you running full synthetic?

As for the TB, it is already done, but what is the BBA? I might look there in the future for parts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
vansamirin said:
I dont think I can even get the oil for $15. Are you running full synthetic?

As for the TB, it is already done, but what is the BBA? I might look there in the future for parts
In all fairness, I may have exagerated a little. I just looked at the receipt and it was $3.49 per quart for Rotella T Synthetic and $3.19 for the oil filter. Grand Total = $17.15. Still not bad though. As for BBA Remanufacturing, they have tons of remanufactured parts for our cars W/ lifetime warranty. If you don;t see what you need at their site, look at their ebay store or call them.

Website-----> http://www.bba-reman.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
vansamirin said:
I just got off the phone with the shop, its was the Throttle Body that died.

Im getting the TB replaced, and an oil change, for $720 USD

Thanks for all your help!!
That seems excessive :eek:.

I told you I suspected it was the TB and I told you that you can buy it new for $400 and about half for a remanufactured one!

It was BBA by the the way that I was refewring to :cheesy:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top