SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read numerous threads about tops not opening but have not found this specific issue. I am purchasing a 2006 Aero convertible. Great car - only issue is when you press the button to open the top, the car displays a message to consult the owner's manual. The seller does not know much about Saabs specifically (bought at auction). Seems to me this may just be a procedural thing like he needs to lock the trunk before opening or something? Or is this actually an issue that will require a mechanic?

Update: got a pic from the seller. Actual message is "Only manual operation possible. Contact Service". So I guess we contact service LOL. Still if anyone has experience with that message and can shed light on what is involved to fix it would be a great help!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
What you need is TECH2. With it you can check all roof sensors etc.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
As Mimmi says, without Tech II we are guessing, particularly as the history is unknown.

Does the pump in the trunk run even briefly when you try to drop the top?

Is there any evidence of leaking hydraulic fluid, particularly right by the rear-view mirror/windshield, or along the side of the top? Has the fluid level been checked? (Requires removing RH trunk trim.)

The cost to get the top working might be $50 or $500+. No way of telling. Rest of car has to be really nice, or inexpensive. Convertible with top stuck up is not a convertible. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll echo some of the others here, and add that unlike the old C900 convertible tops, these are high-pressure, low-volume systems. A small leak can render the system inoperable. The hydraulic cylinders that move the tonneau cover and the top itself are all prone to wear out eventually, and are very expensive to replace. So far, I've replaced the two tonneau cover cylinders ($650 each) and the main hydraulic line that feeds the first bow cylinder near the windshield ($350 for the part alone, IIRC). I should say, too, that although I'm pretty handy with a toolset, I knew that I was out of my league with the top, and took these issues straight to my indie mechanic. Don't let this deter you from buying the car, though - I can spend a LOT on my 2004 Saab 93 Arc Convertible and still not even come close to what I would spend on a car payment for a car I wouldn't enjoy half as much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts