SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to replace the top lock cylinder of my convertible top, which requires that I manually open the top. Unfortunately my allen wrench slips in the socket of the bolt in the roof and I cannot therefore unlock the roof :(. I have an EX-out set, but I don't think that's going to work as inserting the EZ-out bolts uses a counterclockwise turn, and to open the roof with the bolt will require a clockwise turn, apparently.

Any thoughts as to how I would go about opening the roof? Can I just drill out the bolt and replace it after I complete the cylinder replacement?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Marnix did you ever find a solution. I have a convertible with the same problem. The wrench slips when I try to lock the top or unlock. I used a big screwdriver and got it to work today but I'm afraid this won't continue to work. Thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I’m not familiar with the convertible but...is there enough depth to drill/tap a new hole in the bolt head so that a new smaller bolt can be inserted/tightened enough to move the lock?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Try to tap suitable TX head.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could try an SAE Allen wrench that’s a touch oversize or tight and drive it in with a hammer without wailing on it hard enough to break things. I’ve had mine apart but I can’t remember how stout the mechanism is.

You could also have two helpers push down hard on the top above each latch to release the tension while you unlock.

Mark

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I’m not familiar with the convertible but...is there enough depth to drill/tap a new hole in the bolt head so that a new smaller bolt can be inserted/tightened enough to move the lock?
That plate is pretty thin. You won't get many threads to lock in, and then you have to worry about stripping out the bolt head unless it's a really big (and short) bolt.

I found a CV with a good linkage in the junkyard, and grabbed that. Unfortunately to swap the linkages, the top has to be peeled back as some of the attachning bolts screw into only semi-captive nuts, and you need access from the top to get the nut and bolt back. At least, that's the way the shop did it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Smack the piss out of the head first...
Then...
Hammer a torx bit into it.
Those little dimples are better than the flat sides of an allen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I need to replace the top lock cylinder of my convertible top, which requires that I manually open the top. Unfortunately my allen wrench slips in the socket of the bolt in the roof and I cannot therefore unlock the roof :(. I have an EX-out set, but I don't think that's going to work as inserting the EZ-out bolts uses a counterclockwise turn, and to open the roof with the bolt will require a clockwise turn, apparently.

Any thoughts as to how I would go about opening the roof? Can I just drill out the bolt and replace it after I complete the cylinder replacement?
I think your referring to the alloy bit that manualy opens front locks ,they wear out fast if your using them all the time to open roof,mine did the same I just put the Allen key at an angle and managed to open it but purchased a whole new unit including the arms and locks mine also came with a front ram fitted so much easier to fit the whole thing as I needed a new front ram but you can buy the mechanisms on eBay for not to much money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts