SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know why the interior rear passenger lights (Below the back window) are always on? I had to disconnect one of the wires going to the bulbs on both sides, they don't shut off. :confused:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS the WIC refers to them as "rear interior lighting, convertible".

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Only time I've seen that was when the interior light switch there below the hand brake was incorrectly set (at least unexpectedly set) to turn on those lights.

·
Registered
248 Posts
in my case the switch had been left on when i went to pick it up and sign the title, and turning the switch off turned off the lights. then they came on again when the car was started a second time, toggling the switch again turned them off. now they just stay on. i just figured it was the switch itself, but i await to be enlightened!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone with a convertible let us know if the light turns on when the doors are open and/or just when the switch below the brake is flipped on/off.

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
With the switch in the forward position, the interior lights (reading lights and overhead light) are on all the time.

With it in the center position, they come on with the doors open (also I think when you shut off the car and pull out the key, but I'd have to check).

With it in the rear position, the reading lights only come on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BobSaabit, thanks for the reply.

When you mention reading light are you referring to the lights near the back seats?

It would be great if you could confirm that middle position. Its such a weird issue.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
With the button in the middle position the interior lights will only turn on when you open the door. The forward position turns on both the front and rear interior lights, the back position turns on only the rear interior light. Leaving the switch in either the forward or back position will cause the respected lights to stay on even after you turn the car off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I figured. With the button in the middle my rear interior lights remain on. Even when the car doors are closed.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would suspect a faulty switch. Unless you are good with electrics your best option is to pull a switch from a junker and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
This is what I figured. With the button in the middle my rear interior lights remain on. Even when the car doors are closed.
They should stay on for about a minute after you exit the car, then the rear lights and the overhead light should slowly dim and go out.

If they stay on more than a minute or so, you have an issue.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I played with the switch in the center console and left it in the middle as recommended and that seems to finally turn them off when the car is closed. I think the middle switch might be a little warn out. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear lights stay on, front works fine

Sorry to add to an old thread, but my problem appears to be similar but not the same.

The switch on the center console works fine for the light at the top of the windshield, but does nothing for the rear lights. I found that the rears were unplugged by the prior owner at some point in time. I plugged them in and the rear lights just stay on. For now I have just unplugged them again but want to track down where the issue is.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for those rear lights or know where I can download one from?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts